Which Type of Toothpaste Are You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought, “Hmm…if I were a cat, what kind of cat would I be?!” Or maybe you wondered, “Since I like the color blue, I wonder what NYC neighborhood I should live in!” And if nothing else, I’m sure you’ve had a riveting debate with your best friend about which kind of butt you deserve.

If you’re confused and wondering where I’m going with this, you’re probably not alone. But if you’ve ever read BuzzFeed or ever been on Facebook in your whole life, then you know what I’m talking about. The BuzzFeed quizzes are taking over the social-sphere. But why? Why do I care what “arbitrary thing” I am based on my least favorite color, my favorite supernatural creature, how I would spend my day with Beyoncé, and how I would describe my high five style. (For the record, I got “a handful of beans: so full of possibility, nutrition, protein, the hope for the future harvest. So simple and yet so beautiful”…) HOW DO THEY COME UP WITH THIS STUFF? But maybe more importantly, why do we take these completely ridiculous quizzes?

There’s not doubt that they are purely entertaining and also quite intriguing. What period in history do I actually belong in? Then we get our answers and instinctively identify with it regardless of the outcome. “Yes! I totally would be a handful of beans. I am simple and beautiful!” or “DUH! I’m totally a tabby cat since winter boots are my favorite cold weather accessory! I’m so down to earth and comforting.” And then there are the few times where we get an undesirable result. Which Modern Family character are you? Luke Dunphy? Definitely not! Retake! Gloria? That’s more like it!

We love answers. We are a culture that thrives on being categorized and can’t seem to function without it. It’s no wonder that the Internet and social media world is BuzzFeed quiz crazed. I mean they are hilarious and it can provide some weird sense of validation.  But what flavor hot pocket should I make love to? Come on BuzzFeed, I think I can make that decision for myself.

(Ham and cheese, obviously)