What Your Mom Didn’t Tell You About Tampons and Pads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

How Much It Costs to Have a Vagina:

Despite being a necessity for women and still taxed as a “luxury item,” around 70% of American women use tampons. In one lifetime, the average women is expected to spend around $2,300 on feminine hygiene products.

Environmental Cost:

A menstruating woman uses on average 11,000 tampons in her lifetime, causing a total of 7 billion tampons and 13 billion sanitary pads dumped into a landfill each year.

Health Impacts:

1. Regulation: The FDA does not regulate the ingredients used in sanitary pads because they are considered a “medical device,” hence the company does not have any obligation to disclose the ingredients on the label. Similarly with tampons, the FDA “claims the packaging must match the performance of the product” which accounts for absorbance testing; however, full disclosure of all ingredients is still not required.  

2. Chemicals: Pesticides and chemicals contaminate the cotton and poly fibers in feminine hygiene products and many of these have been determined to be “a possible human carcinogen” by the EPA, which are known to be cancer causing agents. Chlorine is also used to whiten and clean material, but it leaves behind dioxins that can lead to endocrine system interruption that can linger in the body for up to three decades later. Other health effects include pelvic inflammatory disease, decreased immune system levels, endometriosis, and reduced fertility rates. The fibers that are left behind in the vaginal canal can result in a growth of bacteria that leads to Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) which is potentially fatal. The $718 million feminine hygiene product industry chooses these chemicals (opposed to natural hydrogen peroxide which costs more) due to the low cost. In 2012, a woman from Utah discovered cocaine hidden in the tampons she purchased which police later connected to a larger smuggling scheme.

3. Plastics: It is estimated that the average sanitary pad contains the same amount of plastic as four plastic shopping bags. BPAs can cause embryonic development issues, heart disease, and cancer. Paper tampon applicators have a chemical which is known to cause organ damage.

4. Research? Despite these shocking issues, there has been no significant research on the risks posed to women consumers and the environment. Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney has created legislation that demands the National Institutes of Health conduct independent testing of all feminine hygiene products to put an end to deaths associated with Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Alternatives for your health (yay no TSS or cancer), the environment, and your wallet:  

Menstrual Cups

Made from medical grade silicone, reusable, and can be worn up to 12 hours day/night. Menstrual cups can typically hold an ounce of blood, which is two times more than most high absorbency tampons. At a cost of  $20-$30, with proper care, it can last up to 2 years.  With practice, it can be inserted and removed easily and has been shown to reduce menstrual cramps and cycle length (as well as removing the risk of TSS). The Diva Cup is the most popular brand on the market right now and comes with a small bag, whereas the Soft Cup brand is disposable and can be worn during intercourse for mess free period sex with a partner.

Sea Sponge

This $15-$35 alternative is natural, non-drying, biodegradable, and can be reused for up to 6 months. Sea sponges contain natural enzymes that inhibit bacteria. Mediterranean sea sponges were even used by Cleopatra! This can be worn comfortably during intercourse (combined with spermicide it can also be used as a contraceptive aid). If inserted correctly, users have reported shorter cycles and no leakage, discomfort, pain, or cramping. Better yet there is no “proper insertion method.” Most users claim they twist it into a tampon structure for easier insertion. The biggest brand in this market is Jade and Pearl Sea Sponge which offers a variety of starter kits that include tea tree oil for cleansing and a guide to trimming the sponges to fit different needs and information on sustainable harvesting in eco friendly manners to protect coral reefs and marine sanctuaries

Natural Reusable Crocheted, Knit, & Sewn Tampons

Made out of natural, 100% organic materials, Etsy and diy fanatics have turned to this alternative for women who simply want a better version of the traditional tampon. Hemp and bamboo fabrics are more absorbent than cotton and, similar to the alternatives, lessen cramps and pain. They are unrolled flat for washing and some are washer machine safe.

Reusable Organic Cotton Pads

For women who prefer an external option, cloth pads made of organic cotton or bamboo come in variety of styles and shapes including liners with a leak-proof base.  With proper care cloth pads can last 3-5 years at only $10-$15. These pads have been shown to reduce menstrual cramps, reduce cycle length, infections, and skin rashes. This alternative is often accepted by more cultures as it is external and tends to be “less sweaty” than disposables and has “less smell.” They are washer machine safe and have definitely attracted a fun and empowering tone from women around the world. Cloth pads are a way to support many small businesses. Mama Cloth is one of the biggest names in this line of feminine products as of this year.

Jordan is a first year at Bucknell and a member of the tenth Boston Posse. She is majoring in International Relations and Psychology and hopes to work for an NGO to stop violence against women around the world.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.