What to keep in mind during Breast Cancer Awareness month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In October, it is not only on Wednesdays that we wear pink.  In honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness month, we see the color pink everywhere we look. But unfortunately, wearing this color is not enough to rid the world of this terrible disease.

One of the most popular slogans from the Breast Cancer Awareness campaign is, “early detection saves lives.” While this can be true, and while annual mammograms and widespread screenings are important for both individual women and medical institutions, these practices are not necessarily the most effective way to combat the disease.

According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer as well as the second leading cause of cancer deaths among women. With these sobering statistics in mind, college women need to remember that this disease is not reserved for women over the age of 40.

Here’s what to keep in mind, not only for the month of October, but every day of the year:

Treat yo’self, treat yo’ breasts:

While breast cancer is not entirely preventable, there are several steps you can take to reduce your risk.  According to the American Cancer Society, staying physically active, eating a balanced diet and maintaining a healthy weight are some of the most basic ways to keep your risk of cancer relatively low. Some other risk-reduction behaviors include limiting alcohol intake, refraining from smoking and avoiding excessive exposure to radiation and environmental pollution.

Do research on charities before donating:

Each charity allocates the money it receives from donations to different areas; some put it towards research for a cure while others give it directly to women and families affected by the disease. Make sure you decide what purpose you want your donation to serve before signing the check.

Some charities have recently come under fire for using the money they receive for marketing campaigns that do not necessarily align with their stated goals. The Susan G. Komen foundation, for example, has been criticized for partnering with a fracking company to sell pink drill bits because substantial evidence has shown a link between fracking and cancer.

Be your own advocate:

As college-aged women, our chances of getting breast cancer are considerably lower than women over the age of 40. With that in mind, it is still important to be aware of your breast health. Learn how to perform a breast self-exam and alert your doctor if you notice any abnormalities. It is tempting even for medical professionals to dismiss concerns by saying, “you’re too young,” but advocate for yourself and insist on further testing if you suspect anything out of the ordinary.

My name is Elizabeth Worthington and I am a sophomore at Bucknell University! I am a Psychology major and an English minor. I'm from the suburbs outside Philadelphia, PA. 
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.