This Week in the News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

1. World Leaders Reach a Nuclear Agreement with Iran

US Secretary of State, John Kerry, and leaders from Britain, China, Russia, France, and Germany met on Sunday, November 24th in Geneva to hash out the plans of a new deal with Iran over their nuclear program. This is a big moment on the international stage, as important leaders have been trying to reach deals with Iran concerning their nuclear efforts for years. Iran has always said that their nuclear program has peaceful intentions however other countries have been suspicious of Iran and suspected that they are possibly working towards a nuclear bomb. The US also has a huge responsibility in protecting one of our main allies, Israel, which happens to be Iran’s neighbor.

Due to Western countries’ fear of Iran’s nuclear efforts, the UN has placed economic sanctions on Iran, which has left the country’s economy seriously struggling. The deal in place is a six-month agenda that will prevent Iran from continuing key parts of their nuclear program. For example, it will limit the production of enriched uranium and will pause work at its nuclear plants.

Most Iranians are pleased with the deal, as they think it will help show that their nuclear program really is meant to be peaceful and their economy can start to pick up again. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani praises the deal because Iran can continue to enrich uranium to a level making it usable as nuclear fuel. This level of 5% enrichment is well below the level to make dangerous weapons, making Iran’s program unable to produce nuclear weapons.

Others aren’t as happy. Israel is extremely displeased with the deal saying that it is a historic mistake. They are dissatisfied with the deal because they think that the world powers are being too lenient on Iran and they have threatened to take matters into their own hands. Although many praise the plan, it has also been proven to be controversial and its future effects are still unknown.

READ MORE: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/25/world/meast/iran-nuclear-deal/

2. Disaster in the Philippines Causes Death Toll to Rise

As authorities continue to search through the destroyed buildings and land after Typhoon Haiyan swept through the Philippines on November 8th, the recorded death toll continues to rise. On Friday, November 22 the Philippine government’s National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported that 5,209 deaths have been officially recorded so far.

This natural disaster has hit the Philippines hard and it is unclear how they are going to recover from here. UN officials have estimated that 13.3 million people were affected by the storm, and Philippines economy is sure to take a large hit. Much of the economic business is conducted around the Philippine natural resources such as the coconut trees and other plants. However, the majority of these trees have been destroyed and many other fertile landscapes have been ruined. The Philippines continues to have national aid and assistance as the country attempts to pick itself back up after this truly tragic disaster.

READ MORE: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/11/22/246689257/death-toll-in-the-philippines-rises-above-5-000

3. George Zimmerman Back in the Judicial Spotlight

On Monday, November 18th George Zimmerman was charged with felony aggravated assault after allegedly pointing his shotgun at his girlfriend. He was also charged with two misdemeanors—domestic violence battery and criminal mischief, both attached to the same incident.

If you don’t remember, Mr. George Zimmerman is the same man who was acquitted earlier this year of murder and manslaughter with the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. This new run in with the law is one of several since the Martin case. Zimmerman had another alleged domestic dispute in September with his ex-wife, Shellie Zimmerman. Shellie stated in September that she had doubts about his innocence in the Trayvon Martin case. Mr. Zimmerman has also been pulled over twice for speeding, one time carrying a weapon.

Although some may not see these charges as immensely serious, I think it is important to think about this man in context. He committed a murder out of an act of “self-defense” and claimed it was a supposedly non-violent act. Now this man is being charged with violence towards women, specifically a woman who he is supposed to love and care about. Interesting candidate for a neighborhood watchman…

READ MORE: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/18/justice/florida-george-zimmerman-arrest/

4. Supreme Court Hears Case about Religion and Contraception

The Court will hear a case concerning the issue of whether religious institutions should have to abide by the mandatory contraceptive coverage in the Affordable Care Act if contraceptives are incompatible with their religious beliefs. The case is being brought about by a chain of craft stores called the Hobby Lobby. The Hobby Lobby plays religious music, provides free spiritual guidance to its employees, but denies free insurance coverage for contraceptives—even though the ACA requires it by federal law.

Hobby Lobby states that forcing the corporation to provide the contraceptive coverage would violate its religious beliefs and therefore its free exercise right. There isn’t total denial going on here though, as the company does offer certain contraceptive methods. The methods the company is against are ones that prevent embryos from implanting in the womb because they view those medications as tantamount to abortion and therefore feel they cannot provide insurance to cover something that is of direct violation to their religious beliefs. They said they have no objection to forms of contraception such as condoms, diaphragms, sponges, and other kinds of pills and sterilization surgery.

However, if the company denies their employees any sort of comprehensive contraceptive coverage they may be subjected to federal fines of about $1.3 million a day. One of the lawyers arguing against the company says that it is in the best interest of the employee to have all types of contraceptives at their disposal and a doctor should be choosing which one is best suited for the employee. This is a sticky case and one that has monumental religious and political implications included in Obama’s divisive health care law.  

READ MORE: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/us/court-confronts-religious-rights-of-corporations.html?hp

Gabby is a sophomore political science and women and gender studies double major at Bucknell University. She was born and raised on Long Island, NY with the hopes of owning her own law firm in NYC one day. Gabby has always had a special eye for issues concerning women today, and hopes to convey that passion through her writing. Gabby is extremely politically active and enjoys watching/reading the news, engaging in friendly debate, and making fun of Sarah Palin as much as possible.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com