We Can’t Be Tamed: 3 Tricky, Curly Situations and How to Fix Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

There’s something about curly hair that captivates other people. As a child the other kids in your class would say can I pull one of your curls? Parents and teachers would coo and gush and compare you to Shirley Temple. As you got older, friends would say they’d trade anything for curly hair because you don’t have to try to style it. And at every step along the way all you wanted to do was disagree. Curly hair is, in actuality, a rebellious force.  Especially in college, where time is sparse and sacred, it seems that there is a never-ending battle between ourselves and our hair.

The 8 a.m. Fix

The worst part about 8 a.m. classes for us curly-haired gals usually isn’t the ungodly waking hour or even the struggle to caffeinate before class starts. It’s the age old question of how do I get my hair to dry on time without showing up looking like an extra from The Lion King?

While blow drying your hair and hiding that unruly mane inside a messy bun may seem like a good idea at the time, it usually leaves you with an unfortunate aftertaste. The perfect solution for this situation is the L’Oreal EverCurl system. This new line of products designed with consumers like us in mind is just strong enough to shape curls without giving us rock-solid strands of hair.

The Sculpt & Hold Cream Gel is perfectly suited to fix this predicament. If you shower in the morning, you can work it through your wet, towel-dried, or even I-blow-dried-my-hair-for-five-minutes-but-it’s-still-damp hair. Simply apply, scrunch, and be on your way. If you shower in the evening, follow the same procedure before tying your hair into a loose bun on top of your head and allow the curls to set over night. Let your hair down when you wake up in the morning, adjust any miscreant curls, and in less than five minutes you’re ready to go. 

The Mid Day Adjustment

One of the most frustrating feelings is having an amazing hair day until just after lunch when you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and in a split second you’ve gone from Taylor Swift to Carrot Top.

This is precisely where got2b Smooth Operator Lustre Lotion does its best work. This product is perfect for taming frizz and adding shine without making your hair look greasy and matted down. Massage a few drops between your palms and smooth over your hair. You can even use it to target particularly rebellious curls by applying it to your fingers before twisting your curls back into shape. 

The All-Out Primp

When it comes to special occasions, semi-formal events, or even just a night out with the girls, it can be hard to commit to rocking your natural look. Odds are that you usually just straighten your hair because you figure that it’s easier to tame your curls than to style them.

The key to a simple, elegant, and natural hairstyle for when you want to feel all dolled up is to follow your normal routine and then just add a few steps. Once your hair is dry, leave the bottom layers au natural. Use a curling wand to touch up the pieces on the top layer especially the ones that frame your face. Use any of Pantene’s hairsprays – they work well, they don’t smell like glue, they’re reasonably priced, and you can usually fit a travel size in your teeny-tiny going out bag. Spray the top and bottom layers, using your fingers to scrunch the hairspray into your curls.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com