This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

February 14th is the most romantic day of the year. It is a time to express love and affection to those you care about most. According to Fox News, the average person is anticipated to spend $175.41 for Valentine’s Day this year. That sums up to $23.9 billion dollars. It is evident that Valentine’s Day is an important day in the hearts of many Americans. But why? That is the million-dollar question. Love is something that should be expressed 24/7 every day of the year. Why is it necessary that there is a special day for it, during which we spend almost all the money we have? 

It is because it is not just about love, it is about effort. Effort is worth more than love ever is. When it comes to college, it may seem like finding that quality in another person is impossible. Instead of love and effort, we have hookup culture. According to the American Psychological Association, 26% of women and 57% of men in college report positive feelings after a hookup. This is an incredibly low number. Hookup culture leaves Valentine’s Day seeming like an empty holiday to many students—almost as if it is a holiday that we will only be able to celebrate in 10 years when we meet someone who is finally ready to settle down. 

There is a contingent of the college students who do not want this. Several students shared with me how they felt about the holiday, expressing its meaning as “[s]omeone to spend time with and connect to” and “I wasn’t exactly looking for love, but I found someone I could share that connection with.” It is evident that they are looking for that special feeling Valentine’s Day entails…they’re tired of the norm. The common theme throughout my conversations was that companionship is what they most desire. Someone who would put in the effort to care for and learn about them.

It seems unlikely that Valentine’s Day will become a holiday full of love and companionship for college students any time soon. However, it is clear that some people want that to change. This year, they will become a part of the contingent of people who spend $175.41 for their loved ones. That is a good thing (if you ignore the monetization of the holiday, which we can tackle another day). Hopefully, the rest of the people who are unsatisfied with hookup culture will join them. 

Hi, I'm Kendall Garnett and I am a senior Biology and Spanish major at Bucknell University. I am also one of two Campus Correspondents/Chapter leaders for HerCampus Bucknell. When I am not busy researching the next big pandemic I like to write culture and entertainment pieces.