Top Three Halloween Season Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

1.     Costume

You want to be clever, but still look cute. Funny, but still cute. This is the common dilemma most girls face when it comes to selecting a Halloween costume. If you’re like me, you can agree that the best kinds of costumes are the topical ones that are relevant to something going on in current events.

Not only are they the most memorable, but they’re a great conversation starter. The hard part is making them fashionable and attractive costumes. Here are some ideas to get the creative juices flowing:

• #TheDress that had everyone arguing actually makes for a funny yet fashionable costume

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/fashion-beauty/7-totally-ridiculous-topical-costumes-for- halloween-2015-11364007736972

• “Sexy” Pizza Rat…yes, you can make something that includes both the words “pizza” and “rat” look attractive and also hilarious.

http://www.yandy.com/Pizza-Rat-Costume.php

• Ariana Grande Licking a Donut – because who wants to miss another opportunity to make fun of the most ridiculous celebrity “scandal” of the year? Also, easiest/cheapest costume ever: all you need is a high pony, cat ears, and a donut.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2015/09/28/2015-inspired-diy-halloween-costumes/

2.     Candy

You’re never too old for candy on Halloween, plain and simple. Just because we have outgrown trick-or-treating with our parents, we can still indulge on our favorite fun size (or king size if you’re really in the holiday spirit) candy bars. Here are what we consider to be the most nostalgic Halloween candies that will make you feel like a kid again:

• Candy Corn – they’re just too classic; you can’t possibly pass up on the chance to eat a handful (or five) of these. And maybe since they’re called “corn” you can pretend they’re vegetables just like when you were 6 years old (or was that just me?)

www.today.com

• Smarties- one taste and you’ll immediately be transported back to Halloween 2002

www.smarties.com

• Reese’s Cups- my personal fave

www.ohnuts.com

3.     Scary Movie

The best way to get in Halloween mode is to dim the lights, microwave some popcorn, and put on the scariest movie you can find. Even if you’re a baby (like me) and would never voluntarily watch these movies at any other time of year, Halloween is the time to make exceptions and face our fears. Here are a few classic horror films that are sure to make your skin crawl:

• Friday the 13th

www.clickypix.com

• A Nightmare on Elm Street

www.globalcinema.eu 

• Silence of the Lambs

www.imdb.com

My name is Elizabeth Worthington and I am a sophomore at Bucknell University! I am a Psychology major and an English minor. I'm from the suburbs outside Philadelphia, PA. 
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.