Top 10 Reasons Why We Love the Holidays at Bucknell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Sparkly lights, comfy sweaters, hot cocoa, cozy scarves, and pretty snow … practically, Lewisburg’s a collegiette’s Winter Wonderland. That being said, there are some top reasons why we just looooveee the holiday season at Bucknell:

1. Oversized everything. From holiday to Free People sweaters, it’s the best time of year to break out your comfiest, coziest attire. Don’t feel like going to the gym? It’s not an issue whatsoever if you can easily disguise that teeny muffin top (thank you, Christmas cookies) under a flowy mound of cable knit. 

2. The magical transformation of Downtown Lewisburg. All the windows are painted with wintery scenes; the Towne Tavern and Bull Run Tap House are adorned with twinkling string lights; Dwellings, Retrah and Wilson Ross put up the cutest holiday clothing and accessory displays; and all the lampposts have wreaths wrapped around the 3-bulb lights … it’s like the most picturesque postcard you’ve ever seen.

3. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” sing-a-longs. In the shower, driving to Panera with friends, in the Bison or Caf, or at a holiday get-together, there’s always a time to sing Mariah Carey’s holiday smash hit.

4. Wintery accessories make you look that much cuter. Beanies, mittens, earmuffs, and big plaid scarves…even if you don’t ski or snowboard, you can totally rock the “Snow Bunny” look ‘round campus.

5. Dorm rooms are finally festive. So ya gave it the old college try in August when you moved in, but your dorm room never looks good until you buy half the decorations in Target and put them up EVERYWHERE.

6. Everyone’s in a cheerful mood. Finals? What finals? I’ll be at the holiday party…stat.

7. Ugly sweaters are cool … but just for a month. Remember when Grandma gave you that super tacky, Santa-embroidered cardigan with jingle bells and faux-pearls on it? Well, now’s the time to make ol’ Grandma proud and rock that sweater like you’re wearing Versace.

8.  Holiday Starbucks drinks at Barnes & Noble. Did you say Peppermint Mocha? I’ll have two. 

9. Cookies on cookies. What better way to spend Saturday afternoon than taking a trip to Weis, buying all the cookie dough, sprinkles and icing in-store, and baking some delectable treats with your friends? It’s the holidays, and that means it’s the season where calories don’t count. And if you don’t gain at least 5 pounds, well then it’s a Christmas miracle.

10. Love Actually marathons. We laugh and we cry every year. Even though we’ve seen in more times than we can count on 10 fingers, it’s still not gonna stop us from popping in the DVD, making some popcorn and seeing our favorite characters fall in love again and again.

… So even if you’re struggling through finals, at least Bucknell’s a very merry place to be this time of year. Put on your holiday music Spotify or Pandora playlists, enjoy some 7th St. hot chocolate, and celebrate the holidays in Lewisburg each day this month … whether you’re in a dorm, in the Lib, or living downtown with friends. Because the holidays only come once a year… and there’s no better way to celebrate than with your best college friends! 

Love instagram as much as the ladies of HC Bucknell? Check out writer @jenlass and CC @ekbacharach’s accounts for more pictures like these! 

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com