Tips for Conquering the Job and Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

On Tuesday, January 28th from 11-2:30, Bucknell will be holding an internship and job fair in the Gerhard Fieldhouse. The words “internship” and “job” are two of the most dreaded words for students at this age. They bring about unwanted additional stresses. However, this event is designed to prepare students for what lies ahead and to give them the chance to meet with top employers without having to trek to New York, DC, or any other city for an interview. Questions of what to wear, what to bring, what to say, and how to prepare weigh down on most of us and keep us from taking full advantage of this opportunity laid out for us. The job fair is not something anyone looks forward to in the way they anticipate Mac n Cheese Monday or nacho tots at the Flyson at 2am, but going in prepared and with an open mind will make all the difference. 

Although the CDC offers many sessions to help you prepare such as Resumania and a cover letter workshop, here are a few quick tips to help you succeed: 

What to Wear:

Guys have it easy when it comes to this. All they have to do is throw on a suit and all is well. For girls, there are a few different approaches you can take. One option is the classic skirt or pant suit. This is clean-cut, simple, and always professional looking.  However, there are other routes to take as well. A nice dress paired with a blazer and either flats or heels is presentable and gives you more room to add in your own personal flare. A skirt, blouse, and sweater with flats or heels is also another option, and works especially well in spring when you can start using more colorful shades and prints. The main thing to keep in mind when dressing for any job fair or interview is that you want to feel comfortable and confident. Don’t wear something that is going to stress you out and distract you from your main goal of impressing an employer. 

What to Bring:

Always, always, always have your resume on hand, as well as a pen or pencil. 9 out of 10 times, an employer will ask to see your resume and if you don’t have it, you’ve already lost easy points. Some people choose to bring a folder or portfolio with copies of their resume, blank paper, writing utensils, and even a calendar. This is ideal, but if you don’t have a job folder yet, just remember to have your resume and a pen/pencil.

Preparation:

Researching what employers will be at the fair is key to keeping you organized and on task. Once you decide what companies you want to talk to most, you can research those companies further and come in with additional knowledge and specific questions to ask.  When thinking of questions that will give you the most information, some useful ones to ask are: What kind of entry-level jobs are available for your organization? Do you offer summer internships? What kind of training do you provide? What kind of educational background and experience are you looking for when you recruit?

After you’ve reached out to your top companies, given them a resume, and had some questions answered, taking the time to wander and learn about other companies at the fair could open you up to jobs/internships you never considered before. 

Finding a job is one of the most stressful things you will ever have to do. We all dread the questions “What do you want to do after graduation?” and “Have you started applying for jobs yet?” Going to this fair and taking advantage of all the resources available at Bucknell will ultimately make these questions easier to answer. And just remember, it’s ok not to know. Whether or not you have a dream career in mind, everyone can benefit from the practice and experience of attending a career fair. 

-Native of Los Angeles, CA -Current Junior at Bucknell University studying Theatre, Creative Writing, and Music -Addicted to Dunkin Donuts iced coffee, orbit chewing gum, and dark chocolate email: mwd009@bucknell.edu