This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

No one ever wants to be a third wheel. Ever. No one ever wants a third wheel on their date.  Ever. It’s that simple. Third wheels are awkward for everyone. It’s uncomfortable for the person who decided to tag along. It’s awkward for the two people whose date just officially turned into a hang out. Then, it’s awkward because everyone feels weird but no one wants to actually say anything about it. I decided to ask one of my guy friends and one of my girlfriends their thoughts on third wheels.

A Guy’s Opinion:

On Being the Third Wheel: “In terms of being one, especially if I’m with one of my good friends, I can pretty easily recognize the situation and try to leave/try my best to not be a third wheel. I try to avoid this situation as much as possible.”

On Having Your Friend Crash: “This doesn’t really happen to me because my friends are like me and know when they’re a third wheel and try to avoid being one/they usually know when to leave the couple alone. I would give my friend the hint for them to leave.”

On Having the Date’s Friend Tag Along: “The girl’s friend crashing the date is the worst haha because you don’t really want to say anything to her and they just kind of impede the whole process whether they know they are or don’t.”

A Girl’s Opinion:

On Being the Third Wheel: “I usually just feel unwelcomed and awkward. And if I’m single at the time, it then just makes me feel lonely and bad about my own relationship status haha. Seeing too much “lovey-dovey” stuff makes me nauseous.”

On Having Your Friend Crash: “I don’t think I would ever let my friend crash.  I would make sure they got the hint that I just wanted alone time.”

On Having the Date’s Friend Tag Along: “If I’m friends with my date’s friend, it’s not that big of a deal as long as we get alone time later. But, this isn’t my first choice for a date obviously. I also would like to be informed prior to the date if my date’s friend is tagging along.”

Hey, I think I have some pretty smart friends because they had some great insight! However, in case that wasn’t helpful enough, here are some other ways to avoid third wheel situations:

1. Give your friend some space. You may need to realize that your friend just wants some alone time with his or her significant other.
  2. Make one-on-one time with your friend so you don’t have to crash their other plans.
  3. Don’t make things awkward. Even if you feel awkward, don’t show it because it could potentially make things worse.
  4. Hang out with the couple in the right situation. Do a fun activity that everyone can do together!
  5. Check with your friend prior to hanging out with them and their date if it would be an imposition to come.

The third wheel situation can be hard, but it is easily avoidable. We’ve all been there.

Check out this hilarious BuzzFeed: 24 Signs You May Be A Third Wheel
http://www.buzzfeed.com/marcelle/24-signs-you-may-be-a-third-wheel-82mt

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com