It’s easy to think of things that we do know that we wish we didn’t know, right? Like the fact that fast food chicken nuggets probably aren’t chicken, but we choose to eat them anyway, or perhaps that it’s ten times more dangerous to drive in a car than it is to be on a plane. What we sometimes forget to acknowledge, or simply don’t know that we forget to acknowledge, is that there is so much that we don’t know that we wish we didn’t know. For example, who knew that one could bite off their finger with just as much force as it takes to bite into a carrot? I did, and now you do too! Here are some things that you didn’t know that you’ll sure wish you still didn’t know.
1. They FDA allows 1 pound of peanut butter to contain 150 bug fragments and 5 rodent hairs. This makes me rethink almost everything: my middle school lunches, my college snacks, everything.
2. The Romans used crushed mouse brains as toothpaste. No further commentary here besides… ew? 3. Your desk, kitchen sink, grocery cart, cellphone, restaurant menu, and ATM all have more bacteria than your toilet bowl. Now this is something we can be proud of. It’s amazing our bodies are still (for the most part) healthy considering how frequently almost all of these things are touched by probably everyone reading this. Go us!
3. Your desk, kitchen sink, grocery cart, cellphone, restaurant menu, and ATM all have more bacteria than your toilet bowl. Now this is something we can be proud of. It’s amazing our bodies are still (for the most part) healthy considering how frequently almost all of these things are touched by probably everyone reading this. Go us!
4. According to the FDA the average person consumes a pound of insects per year, mostly mixed into other foods. The question that lingers here is… why is the FDA out to get us?
5. Your feet can sweat up to 20 liters of fluid per year. Maybe you did want to know this, maybe you didn’t. Either way, now you know it.
6. If you smell something, molecules from that object are sticking to the inside of your nose. This I definitely could have gone without. I have nothing against some homemade pasta, gravy, and meatballs hanging out in my nose-that’s the least of my problems. It’s all of the things I wish I didn’t smell that I would love if they did not stick to the inside of my nose… you know what I mean. Please and thanks.
7. The chance of you dying on the way to get your lottery tickets is actually greater than your chance of winning. Yikes, this one is morbid. But hey, maybe it can save you a few bucks next time you think of impulsively buying that lottery ticket. You’re welcome?
8. 15% of the air you breathe in an average metro station is human skin. Another major yikes. Sorry for this one- I figured if I have to suffer, you should too! Ray!
9. If a giant panda has twins, she will almost always leave one to die. Good thing I wasn’t born to a panda-mom, am I right?!
10. The average modern-day person spends a total of 23 days per year on their phone. Now that’s scary. Stop reading this and go outside!