Things to Know Before You Enter Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

There is no guidebook for senior year (even though there should be one), so here are some tips to make the best out of your last few months of college.

1. Don’t stress if you don’t have a job as soon as everyone else–no obsessing over LinkedIn!

It is so easy to get sucked into the trap of checking LinkedIn every day and comparing yourself to everyone else. Many seniors feel stressed that they are falling behind when they see what their peers are doing. The most important thing to remember is that everyone’s on their own timeline. Your time is coming, and you will be successful. Stay focused and positive. Work hard and manifest that future for yourself. Don’t be afraid to take a gap year or change your career path. Everything will come in due time if you give yourself grace.

1. Make a bucket list at the beginning of the year

At the end of senior year, most people are talking about all the things they wish they had done. But, that doesn’t have to be you. Make a bucket list of all the things you want to do before you leave campus and celebrate crossing off each one. That way you can be fully satisfied with the memories you made when graduation time comes around. 

1. Go to as many school activities and events as possible

Take advantage of all the free events campus has to offer before you go. After you graduate, things like wine and paint or going to a beer garden with live music will cost you a lot of money. Bucknell does a very good job of offering a lot of free things to do on the weekends and during the week, so take advantage of these while you can.

1. Take classes in subjects that you will never study again

Once you graduate, you will likely be entering a field in a specific subject area or going to grad school to advance your studies specific to your major. This means you will most likely not have another chance to learn more about your other interests in such an in-depth way. Also, make sure to take classes in subjects that will expand your worldview. Taking classes in Religious Studies, Africana Studies, Women’s and Gender Studies, Latin American Studies, etc. will expand your worldview and make you a better citizen and employee.

1. Make strong connections with your professors and advisors

This is often forgotten but maybe the most important. There will be a time when you will want a recommendation from your college professors/advisors. For example, when you want a new job or are applying to grad school. Making strong connections with these people while you can will make your future self happy.

Last but not least, enjoy every moment! It is so easy to get caught up in applying to jobs/schools or finishing up little assignments, but make sure to take a moment to recognize where you are right now. The future can distract you from the beauty of the present. Never again will you be with this group of people, so make sure to cherish your time while you have it.

Hi, I'm Kendall Garnett and I am a senior Biology and Spanish major at Bucknell University. I am also one of two Campus Correspondents/Chapter leaders for HerCampus Bucknell. When I am not busy researching the next big pandemic I like to write culture and entertainment pieces.