Life > Experiences

The Math Class Crush: Is he cute or am I bored?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

I’ll admit it: the only reason I wake up an hour before my math class starts is to get dolled up for the boy who sits behind me. I have to find some motivation for my 8am somehow!

Face baked, hair curled, outfit crafted- just for the possibility of a quick question or conversation during the 50 minute period. I tell my friends about my math class celebrity crush, but when they ask to see a picture, I hesitate. Is he even that cute? I literally don’t even know him. What’s his name? This is so embarrassing! So what is it about this math class crush? It’s a prime example of how we are curious and want to explore unknown territory. Should I ask for his number… Maybe schedule a study session? Her Campus is here to guide you!

So let’s begin: math class celebrity crush? He’s a college student, not a celebrity! I just coined that term because, like a celebrity crush, I have yet to have a conversation with him and I don’t know anything about him. However, don’t act like he is a ‘celebrity’ in the terms of being scared to approach him- at the end of the day you are both in the same math class!

#1: Be confident in yourself. You are kind, smart, beautiful, and amazing, own it! Don’t fear going up to him. There are so many easy things you can say to start a conversation. In terms of the class itself: Hey, I was really confused on the homework, would you want to go to the library together to study? This is my earliest class and it’s really hard to stay awake, so I try to get a coffee on my way- would you want me to get you anything next time? Your math class celebrity crush is a real person after all, just be friendly and see where it goes!

#2: Go with the flow. Remember, there are so many more great things going on in your life outside of your math class celebrity crush. If they don’t reciprocate your energy, that’s fine! But if they do, have fun with it- maybe go to lunch one day or watch the sunset on the quad. There are so many fun things to do. Get to know them! At the very least you can make a new friend. 

#3: Be respectful. Maybe your math class celebrity crush is not looking for a study partner or someone to grab coffee with- that’s totally ok! Kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone, but make sure to always respect their boundaries as well.

Have fun and go for it!

Xoxo, Jenna DeLuccia

Jenna DeLuccia

Bucknell '26

Hey! My name is Jenna DeLuccia and I am a student at Bucknell University from Franklin Lakes, New Jersey! I love to go to the Jersey shore and NYC, take spin classes, travel, spend time with my friends and family, and hot girl walk outside :)