This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As a woman with more male friends than female friends, I think I am qualified to say that having “guy best friends” in your life is essential. Over the years, they have proven to be amazing companions who will continue to remain a big part of my life for many years to come. It’s safe to say that I have no idea where I would be or what my life would look like without them. If you have a guy best friend in your life, they truly are worth your time and energy.

Based on my personal experiences, here are a few reasons why I think having a few guy best friends will make your life better:

They can make anything an enjoyable experience

There’s no doubt in my mind that if I’m hanging out with my male friends they are bound to get us into something fun. They all have adventurous personalities and are pretty much down for anything. They have shown me that life does not have to revolve around work and obligations, but about enjoying the moment. Most of the time, my life is pretty structured, so having friends with free spirits helps me break that structure down a bit. 

No pressure to act a certain way

Jealousy or criticism is never present when they are around. There’s no underlying reason for being jealous of one another. Sometimes, with female friends, I find it can be more common to feel insecure or compare aspects of my life to theirs. With male friends, the feeling of insecurity is rarely, if ever, present.

A different level of comfort and safety

Every time I’m with my male friends, I tend to forget about the real world and how scary it can be for a female. This happens because my friends create this environment where I feel really safe. For example, walking back home at night when it’s dark outside. Alone or even with my female friends, I don’t always feel 100% safe. On the other hand, when I’m walking with my guy friends, I feel protected. It may or may not also help that they all hit the gym pretty regularly, but that’s just one factor… Regardless, this feeling of safety is something everyone should have.

They give real and genuine advice

Sometimes, they give advice that is TOO real. There’s no sugar coating in their responses and, although sometimes brutally honest, they can tell us exactly what we need to hear. I look up to most of my friends for multiple reasons. They have different views on situations I’m going through, so they have input that can really change my outlook on those situations. At the end of the day, hearing something from their perspective is always beneficial to me and greatly appreciated.

Madi is a senior Markets, Innovation, & Design major from Danville, Pennsylvania who intends to pursue a career in public relations/social media marketing. In her free time, you'll find Madi journaling, watching Gilmore Girls, or creating art in some way.