This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Civil discourse can be messy, loud, and emotional, especially in pursuit of what one thinks is just. While many universities advertise their progressiveness and diversity, that ideal is not reflected in the classroom. Creating an environment of civil discourse on college campuses is important for producing graduates with knowledgeable and informed opinions. Rather than expecting 18 year-olds to foster civil discourse on their own, universities should provide a foundation for how to have productive conversations, especially surrounding race, class, and identities. 

Universities have been recently struggling with the conflict in Israel and Palestine. Although many colleges have expressed their horror for the lives lost, they have done little to foster civil discourse in the face of many mixed opinions. This is because one of the necessities for creating an environment of effective civil dialogue is building trust. It is necessary to show students the potential of college to be a place where we can have these challenging and thought provoking conversations. By giving students the opportunity to share their thoughts and opinions, professors can help create a sense of community and ensure that all voices are heard.

The discourse surrounding the conflict in Israel and Palestine has grown toxic. However, this is not the only current event that is being left out of classroom conversations. Politics have only grown more polarizing in recent years, and universities must do their part in addressing these volatile issues. While it is uncomfortable to disagree with peers or challenge your preconceptions, it is a necessary step in furthering the conversation. 

Brennah Busch

Bucknell '26

Brennah is a Political Science and Legal Studies major from Berwyn, Pennsylvania who enjoys coffee, reading, and spending time with friends.