CPL Sections FOOD?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections FOOD?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

The Best Random Food Combos (according to Bucknellians)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Food. We all know the classic combos like PB&J, mashed potatoes and gravy, or even milk and cookies, but what about those food combinations that make some people uneasy? There are so many combinations of food that people think are disgusting when, in reality, they’re some of the best. The other day, I asked around to my friends, fellow classmates, and professors to hear their favorite weird and random food combos. In doing so, I took on the challenge of trying some of these, and it turns out they’re pretty amazing. 

• Ice-Cream and Fries: We’ll start with a basic, but random, food combo (so we don’t scare you away). Ice cream and fries has been a well known combo for a while but some still find it unacceptable. Being someone who has tried this, I can say that it really depends on how the fries were cooked. You don’t want soggy fries dipped in a milkshake or ice-cream. This combo can be really good though if you have some crispy and salty fries, so I highly recommend giving it a try.
  • M&M’s and Cheez-its: This is by far one of the most bizarre random food combinations but I guess it’s worth a try? The crunchy candy and cracker combo (that was a lot of alliteration) makes for an oddly good pair. After giving it a test myself, I can say it’s not my cup of tea, but I can also see its appeal.
  • Bacon and whipped cream: Okay, don’t hate on this combo (because it’s my input to this list). When I say it is really good: it’s really good. The light, sweet flavor of the whipped cream goes so well with the salty, crunchy bacon. Remember, it may sound weird but you can’t judge until you try it for yourself :).
  • Rice and Hot Sauce: For those of you who love spicy food, this one’s for you. My fellow classmate loves this combo. Take some hot sauce and rice of your choice and mix it together to get something hot and flavored. 
  • Mayo and Fries: This one may seem odd at first, but it’s actually pretty normal. I had several people tell me that this was probably their favorite odd food combination. It’s pretty popular in Belgium too, so give it a go!

These may be some odd food combinations, but think about the ones we eat everyday. Maybe peanut butter and jelly wasn’t socially acceptable back in the days but it is a classic combo in today’s times. So, what will be the next PB&J? Will it be hot sauce and rice? Bacon and whipped cream? Something Else? That’s for you to go out and discover! Remember, new experiences are worth it (even if they’re terribly bizarre).

Olivia is a Computer Science major at Bucknell. Aside from her love of the sciences, she has a strong appreciation for the arts, literature, and writing.