Sorting Out Your Spring Schedule: Course Advice From Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Next week begins the start of course registration for Spring semester. Students of all class years and majors are flipping frantically through the course catalog (figuratively, of course, since classes are online now) to figure out their perfect schedule. Students must maintain the difficult balance of enrolling in courses that they find interesting, while also fulfilling core curriculum and major requirements. Below are some recommended courses from Bucknell female upper-classmen students to help you figure out your ideal and intellectually-stimulating spring semester schedule:

Management 101 (Introduction to Organization and Management): The course is extremely hands-on and interactive. The course is focused around a “company” of approximately 25 students who must work together to develop and sell a product to the Bucknell community. The profits from the product sales are used to create and implement a service project that benefits the community at large. Management 101 meets five times a week and is an extremely rewarding class that educates students of all majors about themselves and working with others.

English 399 (Extreme Creativity): Extreme Creativity is an unbelievable class that truly embodies the liberal arts education. It takes an inter-departmental approach by inviting guest lecturers to come in and speak to the class about the creative process and viewing creativity as a continuum rather than in a confined and narrow scope.

Sociology 201 (Field Research-Local Community): Field Research-Local Community allows Bucknell students to burst out of the Bucknell bubble and conduct their own semester-long project involving field observations. Professor Johnson enthralls her students as they embrace the incredible opportunity to conduct their own sociological and anthropological research outside Bucknell.

Art History 208 (Modern Art 1915-Now): The majority of the class is taught with artwork from the Samek Art Gallery’s collection and the lectures are engaging and thought-provoking. This is an amazing course and students only need a little bit of background in Art History to enroll and succeed. Plus, the fact that Professor Rothman teaches this class makes it that much better!

Management 384 (Consumer Behavior): Professor Allen gives students a hands-on in situational-approach to consumer behavior, as he maneuvers the course tactfully through both readings and group projects. The class culminates with a group project that allows students to research and write any topic related to Consumer Behavior that they so choose. Professor Allen used to by the head of the School of Management, but decided to go back to teaching because he missed his students too much. According to past students, Professor Allen is one of those professors that every student at Bucknell should experience.

English 202 (Creative Writing: Fiction): Professor Rosenberg is an amazing, engaging, helpful and fair professor. Students say that his classes go by in a blink of an eye because they are always so interested in what he has to say. Additionally, students comment that Professor Rosenberg caters to non-English majors who just want to learn more about the creative writing process and that he truly makes people better writers.

Psychology 369 (Psychology of Beauty and Attraction): If you have ever wondered why people flirt, what makes someone more attractive or whether the foot size of a man really does indicate what is underneath his pants, then this is the class for you. Professor Wade has a dry sense of humor and makes this discussion-based class both engaging and informative.

Economics 258 (Intermediate Political Economy): The class combines current events with economic theory, rather than heavy math or confusing equations. Intermediate Political Economy is particularly relevant to understanding today’s economic situation while also being compelling and stimulating.

Political Science 140 (American Politics): This is a great class and an awesome introduction to politics. There are a lot of opportunities for students to voice their opinions and ask questions about the American government. In an election year when everyone is talking about politics, it is important to have the foundational understanding of the United States’ political system, problems and consequences of voter participation as well as rudimentary information on how American politics works and why it matters. Students do not have to be political science majors, pre-law or even politically savvy to be interested in and do well in this class. This course does a wonderful job in providing essential background information about American politics in preparation for Bucknellians to be civically engaged citizens.

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!