Sneak Peek: Tarana Burke on February 18th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Whether you’ve posted a status or have read a heartbreaking story about sexual harassment and assault, there is no doubt that the #MeToo movement has flooded our social media streams. But where does this movement come from and what is it really all about? Despite the recent trending hashtags, the Me Too movement has been an organization fighting to provide a voice for those affected by sexual assault since 2007. Tarana Burke was working as a youth worker in Harlem, New York when she encountered a thirteen year old girl who had tried to confide in her regarding sexual abuse from her mother’s boyfriend. At the time, Tarana Burke couldn’t bare to listen to her traumatic story. Both heartbroken and ashamed of her inability to listen to the little girl who confided in her, Burke wanted a chance to redeem herself. Burke had to learn from the courage this little girl once had, and ultimately embarked on establishing a community in which survivors are able to support one another. Thus, the #MeToo movement was born.

After the campaign went viral, post Harvey Weinstein allegations and endorsement by Alyssa Milano, thousands of women began sharing their stories online that allowed them to finally begin to heal from the pain they had endeavored. In an interview with CNN, Tarana Burke stated that “me too is a statement from survivor to survivor that says ‘I see you, I hear you, I understand you and I’m here for you or I get you.’”

Although all trending hashtags eventually fade, Burke is still actively working to ensure all survivors of abuse are heard and supported, and you have a chance to hear just how she is planning to do so. On Sunday February 18th at 7pm in the Weis Center, come listen to the woman behind the scenes of #MeToo. Listen to her story and learn how you can make a difference for survivors all without having to walk more than a mile from your bed. Admittance is free and tickets go on sale on February 16th at 10am.

Tarana Burke has dedicated over 25 years of her life fighting for social justice, and the fight is far from over. Come see what it’s all about!

Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell