Second Semester Senior: Looking Forward

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It is easy to get bogged down by the stress and craziness that the end of a semester can bring – so much so that we forget how precious our time at Bucknell really is. For seniors, the end of our second-to-last semester can be a bit of a drag.  Burnt out from classes, the same two bars, and the dull Lewisburg weather, kissing the Buck goodbye and returning home seems so much easier than it did when we were eager, college-obsessed first-years. While winter break gives us a breath of fresh air and a chance to catch up with family and old friends, it is important to reflect upon some of Bucknell’s little blessings as we enter our last semester at the place we’ve called home the last four years.

1) Your Friends, Right Around the Corner  

Unless you’re a rare case and end up like the cast of Friends, college is the last time in your life when you and all of your best friends will live within walking proximity of one another.  Juggling crazy social calendars and piles of schoolwork can be quite the task, but it is so important to make the time to connect with your first friends from freshman year, or let your roommate drag you to that Wednesday night party even though you have an exam the next day.  It’s easy to take for granted the ease of making plans and finding a friend to grab lunch with while you’re at Bucknell, so make sure to soak it all in second semester.

2) No Dress Code

Ever wake up at 7:50 a.m., realize you have to bolt to your 8am class, and throw on a hat, a pair of leggings, and a sweatshirt over the t-shirt you slept in last night? While no Bucknellian is awake enough to realize your haphazard attire, such a getup won’t fly in the real world.  Soon enough, you’ll be triple-checking that you set your alarm so you’ll have ample time to shower and throw on your pantsuit before your morning commute. 

3) The Superest Saturdays

By senior year, Bucknell’s social scene becomes inevitably un-exciting and incredibly predictable.  But how many times over the past four years have you caught yourself sitting in class, or back home, day dreaming about frolicking around the muddy backyard of a downtown house with your friends?  At Bucknell, we know how to do Saturdays, and in the real world, although they may be nice, but they aren’t always super.  Although it’s natural to grow out of the love we once had for frat parties and Natty Light, remember, these are the last of your Super Saturdays – make the most of them.

4) An Open, Enriching, Learning Environment

It may not be the first thing to come to mind when someone asks you what you love about Bucknell, but after all, your education is the reason you attended college in the first place.  Although graduate school may still be in the cards, finishing final exams can remind you just how close you are to never attending another class again.  Face it: saying goodbye to four years of enriching education, accepting learning environments, and an endless variety of opinions, subjects, and insights is not easy. College is certainly hard, but with its challenges come the most incredible rewards and learning experiences that we will cherish and reflect upon for the rest of our lives. As you enter into the next five months of academia, make a promise to yourself to put your best foot forward in all of your classes and soak up each and every lesson Bucknell offers.

Getting ready for a change and a taste of the real world is certainly expected come senior year.  However, with one more semester ahead and a slew of new experiences and responsibilities at our fingertips, it is so important to make the most of our last months here at Bucknell.  Reflect upon all that your time here has taught you, and take advantage of every experience you are offered, because, as they say: there’s a time and place for everything, and it’s called college.  

Emmy is currenty a senior at Bucknell University studying Managing for Sustainability.  She's a believer in horoscopes, a Jersey girl at heart, and a lover of all things outdoorsy.