The Real Deal on Overpriced Unmentionables

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

There’s a new trend in town and I’m not talking about pastel denims and crop tops. It’s not a brand name that has recently emerged as the next must-have item, but rather — seriously pricey unmentionables. The recent popularity surge of high-end lingerie brands such as Eberjey, Hanky Panky, and Cosabella have got us Her Campus girls wondering: what’s the big deal? In response, I have attempted to help unpack the finer details of this new obsession with the most intimate pieces in our closet that (for the most part) remain unseen.

We might invest in these pricey undergarments to avoid the stigma of wearing “granny panties”. I’m talking about those comfy pieces that you’ve tucked away in the back of your underwear drawer and only wear when it’s getting dangerously close to laundry day and you’re running out of options. I don’t know about you, but the thought of someone taking a peek at my drawers and finding a wide assortment of “less-than-sexy” underwear sends shivers down my spine.

I’m not saying that we’re expected to have complete sets of raunchy lingerie. Rather, it seems to be a culturally agreed-upon fact that our unmentionables should be aesthetically pleasing. The recent fashion trend that has everyone showing off more skin has turned what used to be reserved for the bedroom into more of a public affair, further contributing to the greater emphasis placed on the most fundamental layers of our clothing.

Such concern over intimate wear is rooted in the images that society has constructed. Female undergarments are associated with images of lust and sex but male products are not as overtly sexualized. Why? Here’s my best answer, and it’s simple: sexy lingerie makes women feel sexy. It might also suggest a sense of sexual confidence in the wearer. If we really think about it, owning a piece of lingerie deemed as “sexy” insinuates that we’re sexually active; even if we’re just into the pretty colors, wearing some skimpy, barely-there tends to indicate experience in bedroom — whether or not this is accurate doesn’t really seem to matter.

Don’t get me wrong. There is something about those lacey, pretty, neon and pastel-colored pieces that just screams: must-have. But it’s also the thought of wearing something that is supposedly reserved for your and your special someone’s eyes only that immediately makes you feel, well, sexy.

So, we might be a bit more conscious about our selection of underwear due to a cultural stigma or how they might make us feel but why do some of us choose to purchase from Eberjey and Hanky Panky rather than Gap or Aerie, which offer equally adorable and comfortable pieces? It’s the same reason why we might buy a plain, white t-shirt from J. Crew rather than Gap. The two brands might offer the same product but there is a perceived difference in the quality and value of each shirt. Similarly, these higher-priced intimates are sold for almost twice as much as the average brand. Hanky Panky’s Signature Lace Low Rise Thong sells for $20, whereas a Victoria’s Secret thong is anywhere from $9.50 to $10.60. Again, it is the image associated with the respective brands that have created this cult-like following. Brands like Cosabella and Eberjey have successfully convinced consumers that their product is the best because it is the most expensive. In reality, there are more affordable brands that offer the invisible lining and comfortable, seamless feel that is not only functional but also sexy and trendy.

Instead of selling a product as essential item, the brands have positioned their pieces as must-have items that boost our confidence by adding a little sugar and spice to our lives. The real question isn’t then, isn’t what’s the point, but rather: do you think they’re worth it? 

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!