Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Universal Pictures
Life > Experiences

Panhel Profile: Eleanor Geno

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Name: Eleanor Geno

Hometown: Houston, TX

Major: History and Environmental Studies

Class Year: 2023

Position on Panhel: President 

What is the Bucknell Panhellenic Society?

The Bucknell Panhellenic Council is the advocacy and support organization for sororities on campus. Each chapter has two delegates who act as representatives to the council, and who are involved in making decisions and setting criteria for Greek life on campus. The Council is made up of an executive board, with members from every chapter, who work to provide programming and support across campus. 

What chapters are a part of it?

The sororities on campus who are a part of the National Panhellenic Council (NPC) are all included. These are:  Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, and Kappa Kappa Gamma

Why were you interested in being a part of Panhel exec?

I wanted to be a part of Panhel exec because I was interested in becoming involved with Greek life on campus beyond just my own chapter. I recognize the historic inequalities that Greek life has perpetuated, both on our campus and nationally, and I wanted to try and help change this reality for our campus. The stigma around Greek life on our campus is also pretty strong, and I think there is a lot of good that sororities do and are capable of, and I wanted to help rewrite the narrative around a lot of our organizations. Being on Panhel has been such an amazing opportunity to try and accomplish these objectives since you have access to the entire sorority community, and are able to make connections across campus.

What has your experience been so far on Panhel? 

My experience on Panhel so far has been amazing! I have been able to serve on exec both my junior year, where I was VP of Community Standards and Accountability, and my senior year where I’m serving as President. Being surrounded by women who want to help make our community a better place is one of my favorite things about being involved in Panhel. Additionally, being able to provide support to each of the chapters and working to resolve any issues that arise in our community is a really fulfilling process. I have also loved helping to brainstorm new experiences for the Greek community, whether that be collaborations with our Interfraternity Council or new events we have coming up like Beautiful Week!

What would your advice be to PNMs who are currently going through recruitment? And to those who are considering going through recruitment in the future? 

I would tell them to stay true to themselves! It can be so hard when you’re going through recruitment to get wrapped up in the stereotypes that are perpetuated about every chapter, or even what your friends may be saying about specific chapters. But, I think it’s super important to remember that recruitment is an individual process and that every person has different wants and needs. Every chapter is ultimately different and what works for one person may not work for the other, which is the beauty of having a chapter for every individual on campus. I did not end up in the same chapter as my two best friends, but I have been able to stay super close with them and even live with them my senior year. It’s also been amazing because I have been able to meet women in their chapter, and they have been able to meet my friends in my own chapter. That is one of the best parts about joining Greek life: making those connections both in your own chapter and across our community. Above everything else, PNMs should trust themselves and what they feel about every chapter regardless of outside influences. At the end of the day, you know yourself and know what’s best for you!

Kelty is a third-year writer at Bucknell from Wayne, PA