Ooooooo Is For Orgasm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

I’ve been watching a lot of porn lately. Not because I’m single and it’s been a while since I’ve gotten any lovin’ (although true), but because in a little over a week I will be on stage in Harvey Powers recreating orgasms for the Vagina Monologues. I called upon my climaxing predecessors for advice on how to prep and they all had one common tip, watch porn. Thus, since the beginning of the semester I’ve awkwardly been sitting in my room taking diligent notes on the various moans associated with female pleasure. I must admit, for all of the negative cracks it receives, pornography has a few redeeming qualities. Through all of this I’ve learned to appreciate the beauty of sex and everything that goes with it. Before Vagina Monologues, I had never looked at porn. I had neither desire nor reason to. Now, I can understand its appeal, not just to men but also to us ladies! I think porn often gets a bad rep for being too objectifying, too degrading and too androcentric. While I won’t say if I agree or disagree with these claims, I do think the industry is aiming for progress, and that the issue is not black and white, but has multiple shades of grey … no pun intended. With that being said, I think women stand to gain a lot from porn, not for their boy toys or lovers, but for themselves … about themselves. Sure, Cosmo always has some exciting new trick to try in bed or 75 ways to ensure an orgasm, but it’s one thing to read a tip and it’s another to see its effect in action before making a complete fool of yourself. I know what you’re thinking:  They’re porn stars, of course they know what they’re doing. You’re right; they do know what they’re doing. However, they are women, the same as you and me. The only difference between us is that they (presumably) have a lot more sex than we do. Don’t let their profession deter you from trying to emulate their sexual prowess. It doesn’t matter if you think they are faking it; strive to be like the porn star, aim to attain the Big O! 

The Big O? What IS that?

According to Women’s Health Magazine, “It’s the only thing that feels better than diving into a cool lake on a sweltering day, biting into a juicy cheeseburger when you’re starving or even getting your wallet back after losing it on vacation abroad.” Although wildly descriptive, that doesn’t really help explain what an orgasm actually is. After doing some research, I understand why all the mags and media describe the female orgasm using lovely euphemisms. Defining an orgasm as “the moment when the uterus, vagina and anus simultaneously contract at 0.8 second intervals” is so not sexy. No matter how it is described, we all want to experience at least one. So…

Will It Happen for You?

The female orgasm is like the elusive snow leopard. Everyone has heard of them, but few of us have actually been graced by their presence. So what’s the deal? Why are orgasms so hard to come by? According to a study done by the University of Chicago, “a woman’s chances of experiencing orgasm slowly rise over the course of 25 years but never even approach 90%.” Basically, it can happen, but it will take A LOT of effort and stimulation to get there. You might want to talk to your partner about spending some quality time downtown, and I don’t mean Market Street. For the readers that don’t have partners readily available to them, fear not! You can always indulge in some self-exploration. Thanks to John Mayer we have figured out that our bodies are wonderlands, so why not get lost in ourselves? Masturbation is too taboo that very few females readily admit to it. Well ladies, if we want to experience the Big O, we might have to warm up to the idea of masturbation. Women are more likely to experience an orgasm if it is self-stimulated, or if they are in a position that gives them more control during intercourse.

So get to it ladies, I want to hear you scream!

XOXO 

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!