nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Olivia Jade Returns to YouTube for The First Time in 9 Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In March of this year, the story about Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman’s college scandal broke the news. The two actresses were accused of bribing the University of Southern California’s rowing coach, to let their daughters pretend to be recruits in order to get them into the school. 

On December 1st, Lori Loughlin’s daughter, Olivia Jade, returned to YouTube after a nine-month hiatus. A few years ago, Olivia Jade started her YouTube channel, which mainly consists of makeup and fashion videos. These videos ultimately made her a famous beauty vlogger and social media influencer with two million subscribers and 1.4 million Instagram followers. Olivia’s channel started becoming so successful that she started making brand deals with companies such as Sephora, Lulus, Estee Lauder, Marc Jacobs, and more. However, with the scandal’s outbreak, Olivia has lost almost all of her deals. 

After February 28th, Olivia’s posts on Instagram started to stop. But, on July 29th, Olivia posted an old photo of her mother, holding her as a baby, with the caption: “one day late. happy birthday. i love you so much.” 

A couple of months later, Olivia posted a photo that her lawyers begged her not to post. But, she did it anyways. At the beginning of September, Olivia posted a photo of herself with two middle fingers in the air. The caption of the post said, “@DailyMail @StarMagazine @People @PerezHilton @EveryOtherMediaOutlet #Close #Source #Says,” which was clearly a dig at all of the news outlets many articles about her mother’s USC admissions scandal. The now deleted post, was the last one for another few months… up until now. 

On December 1st, Olivia made her first YouTube video in nine months that was titled, “hi again.” She then posted a screenshot of the YouTube video on her Instagram, encouraging people to go watch what seems to be a very brief two minute response to everything that had happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzpJ8RYlrM4

Here are a few of the things Olivia said in this video:

“Hi everybody, it’s Olivia Jade, welcome back to my YouTube channel. Obviously, I have been gone for a really long time and as much as I wish I could talk about this…”

“It’s really hard for me to say this because I know that it’s something that needs to be addressed.”

“I didn’t know when to come back to YouTube, but the reason for that is because I’m legally not allowed to speak on anything going on right now.”

Olivia continues by expressing how a part of her really wants to come back to YouTube because she really misses it. She then explains, “a huge part of me is not the same.” She then expresses her concerns throughout the past eight months, explaining that she doesn’t know if there’s a point to come back if she can’t talk about what’s going on. She says there’s no point in talking to the camera about how badly she wishes she could say something, but she really can’t. She then thanked her viewers for their patience during the past nine months and how much she appreciates it. She states that she wants to move on with her own life, but disclaims that it’s not in a selfish way. She ends the video by expressing how terrified she was to make the video in the first place, however, she wants to start by taking smaller steps in the right direction. The last two seconds of the video is a text slide that reads, “Thank you for watching. I’ll see you soon. – Olivia Jade.”

Lexi Smilow

Bucknell '20

writer from Bucknell University. I write about mostly lifestyle and sports!
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell