New Year’s Resolutions You’ll Actually Keep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Troublesome semester? Rough year? Ready to put it all behind you and start fresh? Lucky for you, the year 2013 is just around the corner, and New Year’s resolutions are a way for you to officiate your goals for the new year. We usually forget about these or give up before the month of January is even over. To avoid this, we’ve created a list of resolutions that you will actually keep – modifications of the classic self-made promises.

1. Lose Weight

Lose 10 pounds? More like gain 15.

Here’s the thing about weight loss goals…we all have the “perfect” body image in mind but very small motivation to do the work to actually achieve it. There’s also a huge emphasis on the big, scary, DIET (ew). The solution? Don’t set a number in stone. Instead, think about getting healthier. This year, make your new year’s resolution: “Get Healthier” rather than “Lose Weight.”

Start by giving up one food and commit to 30 minutes of exercise three times a week. That’s it. Be it candy, chocolate, bread (if you are so brave), fried foods, or chips, pick ONE thing to give up and simply… let it go. Think of it as lent, except don’t replace the thing you’ve given up with something just as bad. Yeah, I see you, sneaker junk food schemer.

After two to three weeks, you’ll probably start thinking: “I can actually do this…” That’s when you start cut out more unhealthy foods and add a few more gym hours. This way, you will ease yourself into a healthier regimen, creating a less stressful journey towards weight loss!

2. Don’t Get Stressed!

Two exams, three papers, extra curricular meetings, a group project (MGMT 101 anyone?), and that odd sexual tension between you and your best guy friend is getting weirder. Sound like a typical week for you? If so, the resolution on top of your list should be to keep calm and not stress out. However, not stressing is not that simple. It doesn’t just come and go, although we would all like it to. A smarter goal for the year is to manage our stress. Don’t burden yourself by trying to keep calm at all costs. Instead, figure out what helps you relax or relieve anger and frustration. It might be working out, listening to music, dancing around in your room, cleaning your room (no really!), or taking a nap.

3. Save money

Eating out. Studying abroad. Online shopping. Holiday shopping. Whatever it is that has left your wallet skinny and hungry, I’m sure you’re not too happy about it. So, how do you appropriately cut back and save some money? This one is a bit tougher and trickier than the others, but basically here’s the deal. Every time you’re about to pull out your wallet, think to yourself: Do I really need that? When it comes to money, we should be aware of what we NEED vs. what we WANT. Is eating out really necessary or could you spare a few minutes to cook something up yourself? Or how about that really cute pair of booties you saw on Shopbop. Do you really need another pair? Be a honest with yourself. Practice that self-control you’ve been hiding all year long. I promise, it’ll get better in time.

4. Be More Studious!

If you’re making this resolution you’re already on the right track! Most likely, you just need to be more organized and have a better sense of time. So let’s tweak this resolution to: Have better time management skills! Get a planner, make post-its, reminders on your computer, a Word document, just about anything and everything that will keep you on track of all the things you need to accomplish. Then, figure out the best way to utilize your time. Avoid procrastination by shutting off the computer, going to the library or café, studying with a friend who you know won’t procrastinate. Also, don’t think about how much time you actually have to finish a project – sometimes, the thought of having more time than you need causes “justified” procrastination. Always think that you have less time than you actually do, so that you focus and use your time more wisely!

Now, if it was your last year’s resolution to manage time better, upgrade this little goal even more to…get busier. It may seem odd, but hear me out! You know that busy friend who is always running around and involved in way too many extracurricular activities? How does she get all of her work done? The answer is: she VALUES her time. The busiest people are sometimes the most productive because they best understand the importance of time. So, maybe adding a volunteer hour here and there or getting a job, basically anything (hopefully something productive) that will make your schedule a bit busier, can be beneficial!

Being successful with those New Year’s resolutions is really about taking baby steps. Don’t overwhelm yourself with big, drastic, goals that will tire you out before Valentine’s Day comes along (if you get that far). It’s perfectly acceptable to have big goals, but try making little ones that will help you achieve that one, big goal. This might mean putting down that sugar cookie you’re eating right now, or getting off HerCampus and actually starting that final paper, or exit out of Asos before you buy that holiday dress that you really don’t need. You can do it! Really, you can!

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!