A New Valentine’s Day Tradition: Beyond Unison’s Singing Valentines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Let’s call it what it is: giving standard Valentines can get a little stale. Year in and year out, it’s pretty much the same shtick. Heart shaped boxes of assorted chocolate, red roses, and loving sentiments are standards from year to year. And while there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being showered with these warm-fuzzies and yummy treats, sometimes they can use just a little bit of oomph.

The a cappella group Beyond Unison is revolutionizing the way Valentine’s Day makes its presence known on campus. This year, they’ve decided to institute a “Singing Valentine” program. Purchasing a “Singing Valentine” gets you a package of Valentine’s Day goodies for whomever you choose. This package includes one of four song choices to be sung by Beyond Unison, a personalized note from the sender, and a heart lollipop to be delivered on Valentine’s Day.

The process is quite simple. All you need to do is fill out a form, indicating whether or not you’d like to send the Valentine anonymously. Then select a song for your serenade; the choices are” Just The Way You Are” by Bruno Mars, “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction, “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” by The Beatles, and “Wanted” by Hunter Hayes. Then you can select the location where you want your serenade-ee to be serenaded. Beyond Unsion will deliver their Singing Valentine’s anywhere on campus besides classes.

When asked why Beyond Unison decided to institute this new Valentine’s Day treat, sophomore Alli Aaron said “Some of us had done it in our high schools and it had always been a lot of fun. Now we want to spread the love on campus.” After just a few days of selling Singing Valentines, the group is already seeing success in interest surrounding the project. “The most exciting part is going to be the reactions of the recipient, and of the environment around them. I’m hoping that word’s going to spread around campus and it’s going to be a bonding experience for everyone,” Aaron said.

You can purchase a Singing Valentine package for five dollars from any member of Beyond Unison. Valentines can be purchased until February 13 and will be delivered on February 14 from 9 in the morning to 7 at night. Contact Alli Aaron with any questions at asa005@bucknell.edu. Don’t miss out on a chance to be a part of this unique opportunity!