This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

How to revamp and renew your style by taking a tip from the women who defined timeless style:

Taking a cue from the past is an idea recycled every six months like clockwork on the runways of designers’ new collections. Making something old feel new is fashion’s simplest yet most difficult trick: how do you reimagine something in a way that makes it distinctly original yet still distinctly recognizable? 

The widespread coverage of fashion and style on social media and fashion blogs results in the spreading of trends like wildfire. It seems that it’s easy to keep up with what’s new but just as quickly as something new is cool, it’s also becoming old news. 

The style icons who inspire the kind of effortless cool we all strive for focused much less on fashion than they did on style, resulting in the kind of effortless dressing that defied trends and made their fashion choices things we still look to for inspiration today. Jane Birkin’s distinct cool, Audrey Hepburn’s effortlessly classy look, and Brigitte Bardot’s ultra-femme flair can inspire dressing that feels easy and timeless.

Tone down your statements: the saying “less is more” is so incredibly overused but it still holds true. Take Coco Chanel’s advice of taking one accessory off before you leave the house to heart and take a cue from Audrey Hepburn’s pairing of a LBD with a simple red lip. Mastery of the less-really-is-more concept hinges on the understanding that in order for statements to work as they should, they need to stand out. Beauty statements, jewelry statements, and clothing statements also don’t work in separate spheres, but should be considered together: bold makeup and a statement necklace can take away from one another. In order to avoid clash, think of your whole look as a statement in itself and only focus on making a few aspects stand out.

Don’t be afraid to borrow from the boys: Androgyny seems like it’s always trendy: Jane Birkin embraced it just as Emma Stone’s Lanvin bodice and pants combination at the Golden Globes was too perfect for words. Switching out heels for flats or loafers and opting for tailored pants and knits that fit beautifully instead of a skirt or dress results in androgynous style that feels effortless without compromising elements that make it distinctly feminine. 

Knits are everything:Whether they’re tailored or oversized, there’s something that feels both luxurious and cozy about a sweater that hits in just the right place. The best kinds of knits tend to fall into two distinct categories: the perfectly oversized kind and the kind that fits like it’s been tailored to your body. They’re easy to dress up and down depending on the occasion, too. Jane Birkin shows us that knits can even work on a red carpet.

Your jeans shouldn’t be skin-tight:If one rule in good style always holds true, it’s that fit is absolutely everything. Denim is a staple in our wardrobes and therefore we owe it to ourselves to invest in ones that fit well. While skinny jeans are the most popular option for millennials, the fit of any style is imperative. If you’re looking for high waisted denim, make sure they fit your hips as they should. In taking a cue from the way women used to wear jeans, looser styles can flatter your body even more as tight ones. Take time when you shop to try as many brands as you can, and consider opting for a boot cut style to mix it up.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com