This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Rob Guissanie is the senior technology support specialist on campus and ensures that Bucknell’s network, which encompasses everything from Moodle to Gmail to security, runs smoothly.  Technology has never been more integrated into campus life, both in and out of the classroom, and Rob has helpful advice about how we students can properly take advantage of it and also protect ourselves from it. Rob has thought-provoking insights about both Bucknell and society’s use of technology, so read below to meet the face behind all the tech support we consistently rely on, Rob Guissanie!

1) What is your official position here at Bucknell and what primary responsibilities come with managing the magnitude of technology that is present on campus?
My official title is “Senior Technology Support Specialist.” I work in Tech Support (a division of Library and IT) which is the front-line contact for many of Bucknell’s technology services for students, faculty, and staff.  Generalists by trade, we have a wide breadth of technical knowledge.  However, we often rely on the more specialized expertise of co-workers in other divisions of Library and IT to be successful. Managing the magnitude of technology on Bucknell’s campus is truly a team effort.

2) How well do you think student utilize technology on campus, both in and out of the classroom?  Do you think all the recent online developments, such as Moodle, have successfully promoted academic engagement?
My perception is students as a whole definitely take advantage of the technologies – and technology services – we have available on campus both inside and outside of the classroom.  However, I don’t think every student takes equal advantage of every service available.  They know what they know and expand their “technology skill set” as the need arises.  

Online tools, like Moodle, can definitely enhance academic engagement.  However, services like Moodle are only as good as the humans behind them.  There is no substitute for quality curriculum derived from knowledgeable and dedicated faculty, no matter what the delivery method.

3) We recently received an email from you about how October has been designated as National Cyber Security Awareness Month by the Department of Homeland Security.  If you could give one piece of advice to Bucknell students about cyber safety, what would it be?
Passwords – and your personal information in general – are like underwear.  Change them often.  Be mysterious.  Don’t share them – or even show them – to just anyone, especially strangers.  Guard your privacy.

4) Regarding any technology on campus, in what areas do you think Bucknell has succeeded and what areas still need some improvement?
I think there have been a number of technology successes on campus, ranging from our adoption of the Google suite of services (email, docs, calendaring, etc.) to dramatically increased Internet bandwidth between our campus and the outside world in recent years. That said, technology is constantly changing and evolving. As long as that continues to occur, we will always have room for improvement and innovation.

5) What piqued your interest in technology and what are your favorite non-tech hobbies?
When I attended college in the late 1980’s I didn’t know what I wanted to major in. As the semesters started rolling by I still didn’t know. What I did recognize back then, however, was technology was becoming an integral part of our society. When I eventually discovered my interests (which in some ways I’m still doing) I knew technology knowledge could be incorporated as a part of it.

My non-tech “hobby” is serving as a volunteer assistant coach for Bucknell’s track and cross country teams. My primary responsibility is helping to coach our female distance runners.  I recently figured out that over my 12 years at Bucknell I’ve run somewhere in the neighborhood of 22,420 miles with the team. They are a special group of people that I am privileged to work with who provide me balance and perspective.

6) Mac or PC?
I personally don’t have a strong preference for one platform over another. With trends leading us to on-line applications and data storage “in the cloud,” I think operating systems have become less important. In terms of dollars, PC’s are generally a better value. In terms of style, Apple generally provides “more attractive” quality options at a premium price.

7) If you had to write a tweet in 140 characters for Bucknell students about technology, what would it say and why?
“Technology can help you on your journey, but do not mistake it for a destination. Technology is a means to an end–not the end itself. “

Over the 20+ years of my career, I sometimes see individuals look to technology to “improve their lives.” It’s like somehow having the latest and greatest smartphone will make them a happier person. While a new “tool” can certainly enhance productivity and perhaps make things fresh and exciting for a while, eventually the excitement wears off and something newer comes along. It is a relentless pursuit that has no end. My hope is people–and society in general–recognize that trap and realize that true happiness and purpose is not found in technological trends and gadgets.

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com