Meet Relay For Life Chairs Kendall Hughes and Emily Heydt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebs, Relay for Life Chairs Kendall Hughes and Emily Heydt! 

Kendall

Hometown: Aurora, OH

Major: Psychology and Sociology

Class Year: 2017

Emily

Hometown: Wayne, NJ

Major: Education and Italian

Class: 2019

What does Relay for Life mean to you?

Kendall: Relay for Life to me means hope for the possibility that someday we will live in a cancer-free world. We have all been touched by cancer, and coming together through this event shows that we stand united behind this cause.

Emily: Relay for Life means to me a chance for a better future.  Relay gives us the chance to celebrate our victories over cancer, remember and honor those we have lost, and fight back until we find a cure.  By coming together as a community we can stand united against cancer and fight for a world that is cancer free.

How and why did you get involved with Relay for Life?

Kendall: I have watched a lot of my loved ones battle with cancer and it is truly a challenging experience. The support that relay gives to both survivors, and those who have lost their battle, is remarkable. There is truly no way to describe the feelings you have when so many people are at the event to stand together against cancer.

Emily: I have been involved in Relay for ten years and this is my 6th bucknell Relay!! My cousin went here and she did the same thing I am as a way to honor our grandparents who we lost to lung cancer.  I see Relay as a way to keep her spirit alive and honor her so that her fight wasn’t in vain.  I have big shoes to fill, but I am so humbled to be apart of something like Relay that fills me with so much hope.

What can we expect this Friday and how will this Relay be different from those in the past?

Kendall: Our committee has really put in a lot of hard work to plan constant activities throughout the night. We will have stage performers, blow-ups, raffle prizes, etc.

Emily: This year we really tried to make Relay customized to what would fit bucknell best.  We don’t believe the event should be one size fits all nationwide.  This year we have changed our timing, partnered with ACE, and made it more personalized to our campus.  One thing we are especially proud of is having a moment of silence for Beth Bouchard during luminaria.  She touched so many lives on this campus and we are honored to be able to remember her in such a special way.

What have been the biggest challenges and rewards of your position?

Kendall: One of the biggest challenges I think has been trying to make this event live up to everyone’s expectations. I have loved the past Bucknell events, and I hope that people are able to say the same after this year! The biggest reward has honestly been that I will be closing off my Bucknell experience with such an inspiring event. Relay has been a part of my life since before Bucknell so I hope that I will be able to continue my involvement after.

Emily: The biggest challenge has definitely been trying to make the event be the best one we have ever had.  Every chair wants to make a difference and have an impact on Bucknell, but that’s a really daunting task.  When I took this position last year as a freshman I had no idea what I was getting myself into, but I can honestly say this has been the most rewarding part of my experience on campus to date.  Seeing that what we are doing matters and that we truly are saving lives is something you can’t really put into words.

What has your position taught you about the Bucknell community?

Kendall: I think that this position has shown me that the Bucknell community is truly compassionate. It means a lot that so many people have gotten involved and have worked to ensure that this day is a success.

Emily: I think even more than my position but the event itself has taught me that we are all united. During luminaria when we are all so vulnerable and grieving our own loses, to see strangers reach out and hug someone, a friend comforting another, and to just see our community stand together in a common goal sends chills down my spine just thinking about it.  We all have our differences, but when we need each other the most we will always stand together.  Relay has taught me what it truly means to be a Bucknellian.  

Quick Questions: 

Favorite aspect of Relay:

Kendall: My favorite part about Relay would have to be the luminaria ceremony where we remember those who have lost their battle to cancer. Each year, I get chills just from listening to the speaker’s stories.

Emily: Definitely the luminaria ceremony.  Hearing from our peers about the lose of a loved one and getting to honor the people who are close to us is so special.

Caffeine fix or sugar high to Relay-ing all night?

Kendall: Definitely coffee on coffee on coffee. I might need to hire a personal assistant to make runs for me.

Emily: All the coffee please. You’re also just running on will power and adrenaline because why would you want to sleep when you are having so much fun at Relay!

Little Known Fact:

Kendall: I lived in Germany for two years.

Emily: ^ Well how do you beat that but I am going to be the first Bucknellian to ever do the Italian summer program that I’m enrolled in this summer!  

Come be a part of this year’s Bucknell’s Relay for Life on Friday March 31st from 6 PM till 2 AM! If you would like to make a donation or make a team click here. 

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.