Meet: Nicole Natarelli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Maybe you’ve heard about her awesome class or seen her running around campus, but now it is time to officially meet Nicole Natarelli! Nicole is one of the student fitness instructors here at Bucknell and her class, Cardio Pilates, is by far one of the most popular on campus. Nicole knows the importance of fitness in college and works to make it fun and accessible for students on campus. Read on to learn more about her class, what keeps her motivated and her tips for getting in shape!  

1. What piqued your interest in fitness? Were you a high school athlete?

I have been interested in fitness for as long as I can remember. My mom is a personal trainer and teaches a variety of fitness classes. My dad is extremely active, as well. Therefore, growing up, I was exposed to the knowledge of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I also have a dance and swimming background. I was a part of my high school swim team and began swimming competitively at the age of five.  For me, fitness is equally important for my physical and mental self.

2. What is the student fitness instructor certification process like here at Bucknell?  Why did you want to become one?

The student fitness instructor certification process is not very difficult here at Bucknell. Depending on what you want to teach, you can obtain a certification pretty easily while at home for a break or for the summer, which is what I did. I also had experience teaching pilates for middle aged women in a pilates studio in my hometown.

I wanted to become a fitness instructor here at Bucknell because fitness has always been an important part of my life and an area in which I am knowledgeable about. Ever since freshman year, I have routinely taken several of the fitness classes offered here and I wanted to add a different one of my own. I felt that Cardio Pilates would be a beneficial and popular class among the Bucknell student body.

3. For those students that haven’t been to your fabulous cardio Pilates class yet, can you summarize what the class targets and what a normal session looks like?

My Cardio Pilates class consists of body sculpting, cardiovascular movement and a variety of core strengthening exercises. My goal is to give students a challenging yet enjoyable full body workout. I think it is really important for college students, especially girls, to get a good cardio workout as well as incorporating lightweights into their weekly workout schedule. Despite what many people think, using lightweights with several repetitions actually speeds up your metabolism more so and for a longer period of time compared to doing cardio. It also tones the body!

4. What does your workout playlist sound like? Do you think music can be a good motivator?

I think music is one of the best motivators. When a song with a great beat comes on, I immediately get a surge of energy. Therefore, I play a lot of upbeat mixes throughout my class, some slower than others depending on the specific exercise we’re doing. I also try to mix up my playlists from class to class.

5. Clearly you enjoy a good cardio workout. Do you ever do yoga, or is it just not your thing?

Although yoga is not my favorite, I do enjoy it. I think it is really important to stretch and lengthen the body as well as to relax the mind. Despite the fact that yoga is more of a slow moving exercise, you are still guaranteed to work up a sweat.

6. What does your own weekly workout schedule look like? Do you like to mix it up?

Besides teaching cardio pilates twice a week, I try to do at least 45 minutes of cardio a day while also incorporating other fitness classes in my schedule, such as kickboxing, ABCS, and tabata. Occasionally, I will also throw on my suit, cap and goggles, and do some laps in the pool. I tend to mix up my workout schedule from week to week because I get easily get bored of doing the same thing. It is also important and more beneficial for your body if you mix up your workouts, rather than simply doing the same thing every day.

7. Treadmill or running trail?

Running trail.

8. If you could give one piece of fitness advice to students looking to get in shape, what would it be?

My one piece of fitness advice to students looking to get in shape is to take at least 30 minutes out of your day to move, whether it’s going for a walk outside, running on the treadmill or doing the elliptical. If it is hard for you to get motivated to run or walk on your own, I suggest that you take advantage of the fitness classes here at Bucknell because they are enjoyable and welcome all levels.

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com