This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Judy Mickanis serves as the executive director of the events management office and keeps Bucknell running efficiently. But now my fellow students it is time to meet the face behind the emails.  Probably one of the sweetest women on campus, Judy in addition to organizing events and transportation, enjoys and takes advantage of all Lewisburg has to offer.  Read more to find out what Judy loves about Bucknell, her favorite weekend activities, and what she hopes our student body will achieve in life.  Ladies and gentlemen, it’s time to meet Judy Mickanis! 

1) Students often receive important emails from you, but do not know you personally. What exactly are your primary responsibilities here on campus?

My title is Executive Director of the Events Management Office.  Our office, which I am responsible for, schedules student and departmental activities, camps/conferences and non-university activities like weddings and receptions.  The office is also responsible for the logistics for a variety of on-campus events, including Commencement, as well as transportation and the Switchboard.  It’s a fun responsibility because I work with great people in the office and all departments and interact with so many students, faculty and staff.  Our office is never boring and usually in a constant state of activity.

2) What do you love most about Bucknell? If you could change one aspect, what would it be?

It’s so simple and basic – it’s the people, the Bucknell community. I love the people.  The students are energetic, constantly challenging the norm in a positive way, and are so interesting.  The faculty and staff are just as energized with a terrific support system.  We work and play together, all with great pride for Bucknell, from the President’s Office, to the classroom, to the dining hall, to the athletic department, to Public Safety, L&IT, to Student Activities and the Deans offices to the custodians and outside crew who make this place a showcase, and to all the other departments too numerous to mention.   

If I could change one aspect, I would ask for everyone to greet people as they walk around campus, to acknowledge the person and to say hello.  Too many times we are focused on the technology at our ears and fingers.   

3) You are frequently updating students on traffic procedures and complications…What is your biggest pet peeve about student driving on campus? 

The majority of students are great drivers and stick to the “rules”.  It’s too bad that there are a few who don’t respect others and park where they shouldn’t and just don’t care.  I guess one of my biggest pet peeves is that those few give the students bad reputations.

4) When you’re not ensuring that traffic patterns and campus events are running smoothly, what do you enjoy doing in Lewisburg?

Lewisburg is a wonderful place to raise a family, having raised two daughters here.  What I enjoy most now is taking my grandkids to the wonderful opportunities this area provides – to the Bucknell and Lewisburg sports activities, to the Weis Center events for kids, to the 4th of July parade and fireworks, the Victorian parade, to see the Polar Plunge, etc.   We may be three hours from a major city, but there are so many great opportunities to take advantage of here, and I love doing it with my family.

5) Many students here on campus think you have the superpower of invisibility as we only know through your emails. If you could have one super power, what would it be?

I’m laughing because it was never intended that way.  And I have conversed with and hope helped many students through the campus alerts when they needed clarification.  And I welcome students to my office.  So it’s been fun.  But if I had one super power, it would be to control the weather!!!  Weather affects so many of our events.  Think of a beautiful day to move-in or to graduate, a crisp day for Fall Fest, a snow day for no classes :) just kidding.  But to have that power would be amazing!!

6) If you could send a personal email to the Bucknell student body – not about lot closures or traffic patterns – what would it say and why?

I truly love Bucknell and all who are here and all it stands for. For that I would say:  Thank you Bucknell students for a lifetime of memories and for allowing me to be a part of your lives for the four years you’re here. (And that you haven’t “trashed” me too many times.)   For those I have met personally, I cherish those friendships.  I have been so blessed in my life with children, grandchildren and a wonderful place to work and play.  I wish for you all the happiness when you leave Bucknell and that all your ambitions and dreams are fulfilled.

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com