This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Jesse Klug, Class of 2016, recently wrote a very powerful letter to those who disapprove of homosexuality.  Published by Outsports only a few days ago, Jesse’s poignant and articulate letter has received a great deal of attention across not only from our Bucknell community but also from campuses and populations across the country.  Jesse is a talented athlete and member of the Men’s Varsity Soccer team who is committed to addressing current issues related to homophobia and acceptance as well as increasing awareness and creating a dialogue. Read Jesse’s full letter here http://www.outsports.com/2013/10/28/5023456/gay-college-soccer-player-jesse-klug-bucknell-essay-coming-out, but also check out the interview below to learn about why Jesse chose to speak out, what he considers the most important character traits, and how we can help to eliminate discriminatory actions on campus. It’s time to meet Jesse Klug!

1) You recently wrote “an open letter to those who disapprove of homosexuality” which was quite powerful and well received. What inspired you to write this?

Well firstly, thank you. I have received an overwhelmingly large amount of support and positive responses from students, faculty, and alumni, as well as many outside the Bucknell community. I originally spoke with Outsports and we discussed the possibility of me writing a “coming out story,” which is typically what they publish. However, I felt that I could offer more than a personal story, so I wrote this as well, and asked them what they thought. Obviously, it got approved and was ultimately published. I have always felt obligated to do everything in my power to make a difference, but I was never sure how. I think too often people do not speak up because of the fear that they won’t be heard. I honestly didn’t think this article was going to get very much attention, but I was pleasantly shocked when it did. And lastly, the message I tried to convey in my article is that arguments don’t help us move forward. That has been the irritating thing to see unfold while following the gay rights movement, and something I deeply wish to change.

2) Considering the Bucknell student body as a whole, do you think we are making successful strides toward total elimination of homophobia?

I think there is some momentum in favor of acceptance, but I think Bucknell (along with the rest of society) has an incredibly large amount of ground to cover before we can claim “total elimination of homophobia.” To me, that is similar to saying the total elimination of racism. We are not even close. But the difference is that homophobia is the “last respectable prejudice.” That means its a prejudice remains socially acceptable in many areas. Prejudice, however, represents a lack of exposure. So although I would never ask someone to put themselves in an unsafe position, I think that increasing exposure in less accepting areas will help pick up the pace of the implementation of equal rights.

3) In your letter, you state, “Sexual orientation should not be a defining characteristic of a person.”  What do you think are the most important traits to consider when judging one’s character?

I think that the person’s ability to listen and admit when they are wrong represents a level of humility and maturity that I respect. But even more than that, I think that a person’s actions are really the defining trait of a person’s character. I believe words are powerful, but actions speak for themselves.

4) You state that forcing opinions on people is unsuccessful. How do you think general conversation, increasing awareness about sexual orientation today, can be generated on campus amongst students?

I think what the Bucknell community can do is be active bystanders. Too often people say faggot, that’s so gay, or other derogatory remarks without consequence. The easiest and most effective way to increase awareness is through everyday conversation. When someone says something discriminatory (and this doesn’t only have to include homophobic comments), stand up and tell them it is not okay, and that it is offensive. It takes courage, but this awareness causes rapid change (especially in Greek life and athletics, where those comments are typically more prevalent). Sometimes you have to be willing to be a social pariah for a moment in order to make an impact.

5) You are a Division I soccer player here at Bucknell and majoring within the School of Management. How do you effectively balance your soccer schedule with classes and homework?

I mean it is difficult but certainly not impossible. You just have to learn to manage your time well and be organized about when you get work done.

6) If you could create a building on campus dedicated to you, what would it be and why?

I honestly don’t have an answer for that one. I would want to say a safe space that can be open to discussion for everyone, but that seems both cheesy and unrealistic.

7) Needs to know:

• Favorite freeze flavor: Oreo or brownie
  • Most played song on iPod: It’s actually Fake Empire by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Its a weird one but that’s the top.
  • Most memorable soccer moment: when my high school team won the state championship my senior year
Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com