Looking For the Next Place to Call Home On Campus?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

As a senior, I have experienced the Bucknell housing process in all of its glory and heartbreak.    Not only have I personally lived in a variety of places around campus, but I have lived vicariously through my friend’s rooms as well.   As the lottery numbers loom on the horizon, housing debates begin to heat up. Hopefully some insight on the best options for housing wards off a few of the nasty text messages that are sure to be sent. 

1.  The Gateways- The Gateways are the best possible on campus housing that seniors can get to live in.  Not only do you get to choose 3 of your best friends to live-it-up with, but you also get the luxury of having a common room, kitchen, bathroom and shower to yourselves (all of which are in better condition than the MODs).  Some other perks of the gateways include air conditioning, nearby parking, and relaxed RA’s.  However, the “stairs of death” are a major deterrent when walking to an 8 am class.

2. Swartz Hall-   If you aren’t into the shared space of a gateway, or you don’t get that great of a number, you can opt for Swartz Hall.  Although the single rooms are a little bit small, the location is fantastic.  Classes are right outside of your building, Uptown is in your building, and the library is close resource for both studying and grabbing a quick snack.  House Party reveals another perk of Swartz: the proximity to the fraternities.  You are close enough to catch a catnap during Saturday’s activities. 

3. Affinity Housing– If you have a pretty large group of friends with the same interest, you may want to consider living in one of the small houses lining St. George Street.  Housing groups include : Leiser International House, 7th Street House: Study of the Black Diaspora, Taylor House: Sustainable Cooperative, Hulley House: Cap and Dagger, Galloway House: Fran’s House, Edwards House: Politics and Policies, 23 University Ave: Das Musik Haus, and Health and Wellness Living.  For the upcoming 2012-2013 semester, the Affinity Housing project is promoting a living with pets environment.  Regardless, you hover in that space close enough to classes, but still close to the downtown scene. 

4.  Hunt Hall- Renovated in 2003, Hunt Hall offers private residence rooms for sorority members.  Although you are some length form classes, you have a constant supply of your sorority sisters and other friends.  With common bathrooms and a hall full of girls, you have unlimited options when primping for the weekend activities.  The one risk that you take is the drama associated with living entirely amongst a group of girls.

5. Roberts Hall- Like Swartz Hall, Roberts Hall boasts one of the best locations on campus.  Although the heat gets pretty warm in the winter, and there is no air conditioning for the warm months, Roberts is the only building that offers the coveted “split double.” You get your own room, own private space, but you also get to share the space with a roommate.   In addition to the regular dormitory amenities, you get a coat closet and personal toilet and sink to expedite your morning routine.  Roberts Hall is also home to the writing center, so you know that always have a place to get help on a paper.

For more questions about housing on campus, feel free to email housing@bucknell.edu or stop by their office on the second floor of the Elaine Langone Center.  

Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.