This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Do you love the way plants look, but can’t keep a plant alive for the life of you? Are fake houseplants not your thing? This is the article for you. Years ago, I had plant after plant die, but now I am a proud mama of eight flourishing houseplants! Plants can add a special touch to living spaces, so why not try to grow yourself a green thumb? 

Here are a few tips for keeping plants alive and healthy:

1. Pick an Easy Plant

Some plants are much easier to sustain than others. Succulents may seem easy to take care of, but they are one of the most difficult plants to keep alive indoors. The key is to research plants that are good for beginners. From personal experience, I would recommend Lucky Bamboo. The watering schedule for this particular bamboo is fairly simple and it is a plant that doesn’t take up too much space.

1. Proper Lighting

Certain plants require low light while others require high light. Researching how much light a plant needs is a great way to set your plant up for success. If you are looking for a dorm room plant, stick to a low light plant unless you have a particularly sunny window. 

1. Water, Water, Water!

Be sure that you are watering your plants enough. Each plant requires a roughly specific soil wetness, but as long as the plants are not underwatered, they should survive in your home. Overwatering can pose an issue, so make sure that your plants’ pots have some form of drainage below them. One trick is to put gravel or small rocks at the bottom of the pot before planting your plant so that the roots are not sitting in excess water. Excess water can cause roots to rot, which will keep a plant from flourishing!

1. Proper Potting

It’s important to pick the right size pot for your houseplant. Remember that the plants’ roots will continue to grow, so if they are crammed at the bottom of the pot, the plant will not be able to grow like it wants to. Be prepared to re-pot your plant as it grows! Plant pots can be expensive, so if your plant grows out of one, be sure to save it for the next plant. 

1. Research

At the end of the day, research is the best way to ensure that you are giving your plant the treatment it needs to thrive. See these links below to some popular houseplant care pages: 

https://garden.org/plants/

https://www.ourhouseplants.com/

Allison is a proud plant mama with a love for healthy eats and her dog, Rex!