This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Bucknell University is known for having many traditions such as orientation, color games, walking through the Christy Mathewson gates, candle lighting ceremony, senior sunsets and more. There is one tradition, however, that is less advertised and that affects all Bucknellians: the Bucknell plague, or, more recently known as the frat flu. 

Although it exists throughout the entirety of the school year, the beginning of the semester is particularly worse for everyone, because of close living spaces, communal bathrooms, and unconscious college health habits. There is occasionally a second wave that strikes in the weeks following family weekend, leading up to fall break. Understandably, with families coming to visit from all over, a second wave is likely to occur. You can’t forget about when the temperature turns cold when the third wave hits. Even though the Bucknell plague or frat flu occurs at different times, the symptoms are all the same. So here are a few things you can do to keep yourself healthy when the rest of campus seems sick!

1. Preventative measures

Better than getting treatment for an illness is preventing yourself from getting sick in the first place. Obviously, this is easier said than done, since getting sick is mostly out of your control, however, there are ways to prevent sickness the best you can. Simple things that you’ve been taught your whole life, such as washing your hands or covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, still apply. Especially with COVID-19, these things have been put into practice more often. Above all, getting enough sleep and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, both for your body and your mental health, are the best way to prevent illnesses.

1. Go to student health

Since COVID-19, there has been a development of fear towards the student health center here at Bucknell due to the fear of testing positive. However, the student health center has great resources that are catered towards taking care of our health and well-being. If you are feeling sick, make an appointment and see what’s up. Worst comes to worst they tell you to go back to your room and rest which results in an unnecessary walk, but they could really help and give you some advice and medicine. 

1. Get some rest

Professors often say that you get one absence per semester, so when you’re sick, that can be very stressful. How do you keep up with your classes and attendance if you can barely get out of bed? It is okay. Email your professor and tell them that you aren’t feeling well and set up a meeting for when you’re better. It also helps to get class notes from a classmate!

1. Stay hydrated

Drinking caffeine or alcohol will dehydrate your body and when you’re sick, you don’t want that. You must stay hydrated to keep your body healthy enough to fight off those germs. Regardless of whether you’re sick or not, drink eight glasses of water everyday!

Gracie is currently a senior at Bucknell University expecting to graduate this upcoming spring. On campus she is a part of a wide variety of clubs and organizations.