How to Prevent a Sluggish Sunday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

We’ve all been there, waking up Sunday morning (or afternoon) and dreading the day ahead. The weekend is over, you have a load of homework facing you, and there’s a good chance your floor is covered in the ten outfits you tried on before going out last night.  However, there is no need to end the weekend in a slump. Below are 6 tips on how to make Sunday a productive and valuable day that will get you geared up for the week ahead.

Clean up your room:It may be tempting to just ignore the clutter around you and go straight to breakfast with your friends after waking up, but doing a quick clean up will make a huge difference.  Simply making your bed immediatelymakes the whole dorm space look neater.  Similarly, putting away the clothes that are in a heap on the floor will only take a few minutes and make a huge difference.  It is extremely hard to organize your schoolwork if your working environment is in shambles, and I have found putting things in order to actually be relaxing.  I know that I am always happy walking into my room and seeing everything in its place.   

Eat a balanced meal:Multiple studies have found diet to have a significant impact on your mood and productivity.  Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids will not only help you concentrate and focus, but also keep you fuller longer to help you to maintain a good energy level.  These power foods include oatmeal, eggs, and nuts. Try to avoid processed sugary foods, which will inevitably lead to a crash later in the day.  A caffeine boost can also help you wake up and increase your productivity; just don’t go overboard to the point where you are jittery and can’t even sit still.   

Make a to-do list: Once your room is tidy and your body is fueled, map out all you need to get accomplished.  I usually divide my to-do list into two separate categories, one for anything academic, like homework (i.e. “econ problem set”) and one for essentially everything else (i.e. “do CVS run”).  I find it easier to prioritize tasks when they are all written out, and actually seeing the tasks written helps your mind mentally organize the steps you’ll take to get everything done.

Get to work: However, writing out everything in a nice list won’t be worth much if you don’t start crossing off tasks.  Before you do anything else, get the most important task out of the way. It will take a load of stress off, and will make everything else seem much more manageable.  Work wherever you work best. Maybe it’s in a booth at 7thStreet with some of your friends, or maybe it’s isolated in a cubby on the second floor of the library; all that matters is that you are in a space where you know you will be productive.  Do not allow procrastination or distractions get to you.  If you are constantly checking your Facebook or Twitter when you need to be writing a paper, turn your WiFi off.  If you find yourself being distracted by side conversations around you, wear headphones and listen to classical music.  Remind yourself that whether it’s an assigned reading or a set of calculus problems, bearing down and focusing will not only speed the process along, but also produce a higher quality of work.

Reward yourself:Set checkpoints for yourself,and once you have reached them, treat yourself.  Getting through a big chunk of work is much easier if you have something to look forward to once you’re done.  My favorite rewards are a big, relaxing dinner with friends,or an episode of 30 Rock.  I have found both of these to guarantee belly laughs, and they also feel like real breaks.  Eating junk food or dodging assignments by chatting to friends online or reading “whitegrlproblem’s” tweets from two years ago will not help the situation at hand.  Be proactive so you can actually enjoy a real break and not flip-flop between social media and Plato.

Set an early bedtime:There is no worse way to start the week than on too few hours of sleep, which is why setting an early bedtime Sunday night is so important.  Help yourself stick to it by setting an alarm for when you will get ready for bed. You can also ask your roomie or a friend to make sure you stick to it.  Since you were so diligent about getting your work done during the day, allow yourself to do a relaxing activity before bed. Maybe it’s writing in your journal or talking to your mom on the phone, whatever it may be that helps you wind down.  Sleep is so important for academic performance, mood, complexion (the list goes on and on), and by getting at least 8 hours a night you’ll find managing your school, social, and personal lives to be much easier and enjoyable.

I have learned from experience that by following these tips, Sundays can be enjoyable and productive; a time to not only get geared up for the academic week ahead, but also reflect on and laugh about the weekend with your friends. 

Margaret is a senior at Bucknell University majoring in psychology and economics. She is a campus correspondent for Her Campus Bucknell, a member of the women's squash team, and spent last semester abroad in Rome. She loves all kinds of music from Michael Buble to old-school hip hop, Kiawah Island (SC), Oprah magazine, crossword puzzles and going out to leisurely weekend brunches with her friends. 
Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.