How to Look Your Best Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.
How can I look my best in a bikini?

If you’re going somewhere tropical, I envy you. But I also have some tips to avoid bloating in order to look your best in a bikini! Bloating occurs when fluid builds up between cells inside of your body. Your body doesn’t have a constant supply of water to nourish it and holds onto water as long as it can. A lot of people skip sipping on water when they are bloated when they should be doing the exact opposite. By supplying your body with ample hydration, your body will flush out toxins and excess water weight as it expects to be continually hydrated. Also, remember to slow down! Eat slowly. Gulping amounts of air in between bites heavily contributes to excess bloating.

Some foods to eat to avoid bloating include watermelon, oranges, strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit, spinach, pineapple, celery, bananas (Potassium almost instantly relieves bloating), yogurt and lean protein.

I don’t think I’ll have time for any long workouts during Spring Break…but how can I stay in shape?

Take a walk. Wake up a little earlier or stay up a little later if you don’t have time during the day to go for a walk (or a run if you’re feeling up to it!). Just make sure you know the area well enough before you take off, or run with a partner. If you don’t make it to your hotel’s fitness room, you can still work out from the comfort of your hotel room. 

I really want to stay healthy on vacation but I feel like there are too many unhealthy options. What do I do?

It’s okay to indulge in some tropical drinks and desserts. You are on vacation after all. Wherever there are unhealthy options, there are bound to be at least a few healthier options. If all of your friends are going out for froyo, don’t restrict yourself; just make yours a healthier version with fruits, nuts and granola. 

If you’re of legal age and are thinking about treating yourself to some tropical drinks, keep in mind that they may dehydrate you faster because of the alcohol. Drink considerably greater amounts of water when drinking alcoholic drinks. Tropical “fruity” drinks tend to have incredible amounts of sugar as well, so I recommend buying drinks that use real, fresh fruit rather than concentrates or syrups. There are only a few things in life that are better than freshly squeezed orange juice. Or, go for a pina colada with real coconut milk!

Also, remember to start your morning off with as much protein as possible. Starting your day with eggs, peanut butter, or a protein bar will provide you with sustenance and allow you to resist snacking throughout the day. By the time lunch comes around, you will be able to satisfy your hunger with grilled chicken over salad and fruit. 

Ultimately, remember that it is spring break. Even if you don’t eat or work out as much as you had planned, one week out of 52 isn’t going to ruin your body!