How To: Abroad Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Bucket lists are not just for when you’re old and gray! Traveling abroad offers so many amazing opportunities for new experiences. For many of us abroad, our time in our host countries is quickly coming to a close! With the time left in the semester rapidly running out, it is important to start thinking about everything you want to see and do before that dreaded flight home. Here are just a few ways to start off your abroad bucket list.

• Be touristy – You might be feeling more and more like a native, but before you leave, make sure you let out your inner tourist. Buy the cute, touristy gifts, head over to the famous hotspots, and most importantly, do not leave without seeing the classic tourist locations of your host country!
  • Eat like a local– Before leaving, make sure you sample the traditional meals from your host country. You may have wrinkled your nose at it when you first arrived, but don’t head home without giving it a chance.
  • Go to a music festival/concert – Seeing local bands or your favorite acts from back home with your new friends is an incredible experience. Look up information about upcoming shows and be sure to catch at least one.
  • Shopping – Before heading home, you’ve got have a few new additions to your wardrobe! Try to make sure that they’re not brands you can easily find in the U.S. Look for clothes that fit your style but have a cool, cultural twist.
  • Watch a sunset/sunrise – Take in the beautiful view at one of your favorite places. These are the little moments that you will remember for the rest of your life.
  • Get lost somewhere – It’s the best way to find something awesome. Just wander. You can find the most amazing places when you’re not even looking for anything at all. Enjoy walking around and seeing new things — not everything has to be strictly planned.
  • Ask your friends – Your local friends will know a thing or two about places you have to see before you leave. If you are having trouble coming up with ideas to add to your list, I am sure they will have a few!
  • Do something crazy! – Go on an adventure! Go skydiving! Go skinny-dipping! You are only abroad once, so live it up!

Being abroad is a once in a lifetime experience. An abroad bucket list will ensure that you have no regrets when you return home to the good ol’ USA. 

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!