This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Excuse the cliché, but it really is the most wonderful time of the year. The never-ending holiday treats and shimmering decorations are enough to bring a smile to any Grinch’s face. If ever there is a time in the year to indulge your glamorous self and over-do it, this is the time!  This season can be elegant, delicate, gaudy, and decadent, and so you can your hair! Our biggest recommendation for your hair this holiday season is simply to enjoy yourself! Play around with your style, and experiment with looks you never thought you’d wear.

Curls

Those sweet Shirley Temple-esque curls that always seem too formal for everyday occasions will find themselves in welcome company amidst the sparkling holiday lights and decorations. All you need is a curling iron and a can of hairspray. Place a strand of hair between the plates of the curling iron, rolling up towards the scalp and away from your face. For a looser look, wrap hair around the entire the outside of the curling iron barrel, rather than between the plates. Try this easy look for any holiday party to dazzle the crowd, or for a quick trip to the mall and grab a few gifts! 

Buns

Accessorize any of your holiday looks with a massive-up do. Oversized buns can be both elegant and edgy! Pull your hair into a high ponytail, using a bit of hairspray to slick back the front just enough to avoid frizz and to add a bit of interest. Before wrapping your hair into a bun, tease and fluff the ponytail. This will add great volume. If you have longer hair, braid it or twist it first for added visual interest. Secure the look with a few bobby pins, and you’re ready for any occasion, from a Secret Santa reveal to a dinner party.  

Dressy

Whether it is the inevitable family Christmas party, or an annual holiday formal, you will likely find yourself in need of an extra-special look. While I caution you against turning this event into a winter prom, do not hesitate to indulge your inner diva. Achieve the look on the right by curling hair into long, loose tendrils, and then delicately pulling them back into a loose bun. Be sure to avoid compressing or stretching any of the curls. You can also add a twist to your everyday hairstyles — take the waterfall braid on the left. Simply continue the braid through the bottom of the hair and wrap in a tight, low bun for a sleek, elegant, and youthful ‘do that will highlight your cocktail attire.

Whatever your choice, remember: for the next few weeks, there’s no such thing as too extravagant. Merry styling!  

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!