HC Bucknell’s Voting 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Okay ladies (and all other HerCampus readers), who’s ready to vote in the 2016 Presidential Election? Not yet? We’ll get you there! Here’s the lowdown on how to start participating in our democracy.

Who?

You

If you’re a citizen of the United States and at least 18 years old at the time of the next election, you’re eligible to vote! Though young-adults have consistently had low levels of electoral participation, there has been a recent shift toward greater engagement. Let’s keep this going!

The Candidates

As of now, there are two Democrats (Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders) and six Republicans (Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, John Kasich, Marco Rubio, and Donald Trump) are still in the running for their party nomination for the presidential race. Not sure if you want to vote because you “aren’t informed enough on the issues”? Take a few minutes to complete I Side With’s quiz to find out which candidate’s views align most with your own–the more you specify your stance on each issue, the better.

What?

The 2016 election is arguably the most important election of our lifetime. A win for the Democratic party could mean a continuation of Obama’s move to the left, whereas a win for the Republican party could result in a sharp turn toward the right. See the main issues and where the candidates stand here.

When?

The 58th quadrennial U.S. Presidential Election will be on Tuesday, November 8, 2016. The series of primary elections and caucuses is taking place right now until June 2016. Here’s a handy calendar with the primary results so far and the upcoming primary and caucus dates.

Where?

To find a voting location near your home, find your polling place here. Know that you’re going to be away from home when your vote needs to be cast? Order your absentee ballot here.

Why?

My vote doesn’t really count, though…right? Wrong! Because of the electoral college system, voting for the president is essentially a state election. That means that your vote counts just as much as anyone else in your state! Even though each state has a different number of electoral votes, your vote will still make a difference, either by having more individual influence within states with fewer electoral votes, or by supporting a higher national influence from states with more electoral votes.

How?

Rock the Vote has made registering to vote incredibly easy with this tool! For a one-stop shop for registration, text and email reminders on when and where to vote, and voting by mail, sign up for TurboVote!

Sources