Halloween Hair: A guide to three fabulous looks that won’t fry your hair!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Vintage

Let’s be honest. In some girls’ minds, Halloween is just an excuse to return to the days of playing dress-up, getting glamorous and covering yourself in opulent jewels. And there’s nothing more glamorous than a throwback to a more decadent, elegant era. Everyone loves a good bob, but if you don’t have the length for it, what do you do?

1. Start by breaking your hair into two sections: a top section and a bottom section. Temporarily pull the top section into a messy bun on top of your head, just to get it out of the way.
  2. Secure and hide the bottom section. I recommend making it into two pigtails, then pinning them to the base of your head so they will be concealed when you take down the top layer. If your hair is too thick, break it into three smaller ponytails or braid them before securing them to your head.
  3. Roll locks of hair from your top layer into pin curls by twisting the hair around your fingers and pinning it to your head. Spray with hair spray and allow it to set.
  4. After you’ve given your curls time to set, remove the pins and brush through the curls. Your hair will have enough volume that you can tuck longer strands under and secure them with bobby pins to give the illusion of a shorter, vintage look.

Vixen

We all have a go-to costume. When creativity and time are lacking, many do not hesitate to get a pair of animal ears, throw on a cute dress, and call it a costume. This costume is often a mix of girly, sexy and cute, and you can amp up your look by adding long, soft curls.
If you want to intensify your look with volume and curl but do not want the excessive heat of an iron, headband curls are your solution!

1. Begin with wet or damp hair. Allow it to fall naturally.
  2. Place a headband around your forehead and the back of your head, on top of your scalp.
  3. Take hair in two-inch sections from beneath the headband, wrapping them around the headband (between the headband and the head).
  4. Once you wrap this section in one look, combine it with the section beside it before wrapping it again. You will continue like this until you get to the middle of the back of your head.
  5. Repeat the same process starting on the other side of your head.
  6. When you meet your finished section in the back, wrap all remaining hair around the headband. No loose strands should be hanging.
  7. Go to sleep with your hair secured this way.
  8. In the morning, unwrap hair in reverse order. Curls should be large, voluminous, and flowy!

Villain

It’s hard to forget Lindsay Lohan’s entrance into the Halloween Party from Mean Girls. The most striking part? Her hair! It was huge and unruly, truly allowing her to commit to a frightful Halloween costume. For some of us, this may serve as inspiration! If you crave a spook-worthy look, here are a few simple tips for an electrifying style:

1. Braid wet hair into several small braids the night before. Medium-thick hair of moderate length could use 4-5 braids.
  2. Allow your pleats to dry over night and remove them in the morning.
  3. Comb through the braids with a round brush. This will create a frizzy, voluminous, but still pleated look.
  4. For extra volume, flip your head upside down and run a blow dryer over your hair a few times.
  5. Now you have a frightening and exciting style without overheating your hair!