Half-Marathon Training Week 2: Fuel your body right!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It is important to realize that you will be demanding a lot from your body during this training, and it is vital that you fuel and replenish yourself with the nutrients that you need.  Make sure you are eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and even snacks throughout the day.  This ensures that your body will be able to perform the training you ask of it, and proper nutrition will help you feel better as you work out.

In addition to the food that you eat, make sure you are hydrating thoroughly throughout the day.  Dehydration can cause serious issues during your workout and hinder the quality of your running severely.  One suggestion is to try and get one ounce of water per two pounds of your body weight a day as a minimum.  It might help if you carry a water bottle with you at all times. 
If you’re worried about eating before running there are certain foods that you can choose to eat 1-2 hours before your workout that may help with your performance.  Powerbars, pretzels, apples, and bananas all can provide fuel without feeling too heavy in your stomach.  Try experimenting to find what works best for your body and performance.  It’s important to refuel your body after working out, so try to have a snack ready for when you’re finished.
Week 2
Beginner:

• Try to run 5 times this week.  Each run should be around 3 miles.  If you can’t complete three miles straight, try running for five minutes, and walking for two.
  • On a day that you don’t run, try to get on the elliptical, bike, or stair master, or in the pool, for around twenty minutes.  That same day, try to do 10  REAL pushups (not the girl ones).  Set a goal to do 5 minutes of abs, or whatever your ability level allows you.  We suggest doing a variety of abdominal exercises where you switch every minute.  Some examples include: side crunches, planks, bicycles, and flutter kicks.
  • Make sure to take one day of complete rest!

Intermediate:

• Try to run 5 times this week.  Four of your runs should be around 3-4 miles long.  Your fifth run should be around 5-6 miles. 
  • On a day that you don’t run, try to get in some cross training on the elliptical, bike, or stair master, or in the pool for 30 minutes.
  •  Two times this week, try to do 2 sets of 10 puhsups.  Follow the pushups with 6 minute abs.   Some more advanced exercises include: pikes, side planks, and Russian twists.
  • Make sure to have a day to let your body rest completely!   

Advanced:

• Try to run 5 times this week.  For two of your training days, try to hit 4-5 miles.  One of your days should be a long run around 6-7 miles.  One of your runs will be a hill workout.  Run for 20 minutes to warm up, run up your hill of choice 8 times(we suggest Freas Hill).  Finish the workout with a 10-15 minute cool down.  Whatever day you chose to do your workout, follow it with an easy, 3 mile run.
  • On a day that you don’t run, try to hit some form of cross training for at least thirty minutes.  If you feel extra fatigued, don’t be afraid to do yoga or stretching as a workout, take this day off completely.
  • For a strength workout, try to lift upper body weights one day this week, and lower body weights on a different day.  Some suggestions for upper body include: chest press, row, dumbbell bicep curls, dumbbell tricep press, and pushups. Some lower body suggestions include: abductor and adductor machines, seated leg press, calf raises, and lunges. A word to the wise: start out with weights that feel comfortable to you.
  • Enjoy a day to let your body rest!
Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.