Guys Have Feelings Too…?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s really hard to believe, but guys do have feelings, too. So, as much as you hate it when he forgets your birthday or your clothing size (ouch), remember that there are also things girls forget, too! It may seem silly, but keep these in mind next time you are around your boyfriend, your guy friend or your brother.

1. He isn’t as manly as he pretends to be. Sometimes guys can’t change a tire, fix your computer or even just hammer in a loose nail. Don’t yell at him. Instead, thank him for trying to help out, but encourage him to look online or ask a friend for some help. Besides it’s not like we can do any of those things, at least not without a little help!
  2. He wants to know how he looks in his outfit. Girls usually want to know what guys think of their outfits, and we like honesty! Tell him when you think he looks good, and help him when his outfit just isn’t working for him. He may never tell you, but secretly he wants to know if his new t-shirt shows off the muscles he’s been working so hard at the gym to get.
  3. He likes “Love, Actually.” Maybe it’s “The Notebook” or another famous rom-com that does it for him. Some guys actually enjoy these movies. Even though he may complain you “forced” him to watch it, he secretly enjoys showing you his sensitive side. So let him show it, and enjoy it! Number one rule here:  don’t tell his guy friends.
  4. He tells his friends all about the hookups, but nothing about your private relationship. It takes a while for a guy to open up, and what he does with you really is private to him. However, he does want to show you off to his friends the only way he knows how. Yes, maybe not in the way you would like, but he wants to brag about how hot you are…and to be honest we don’t hate it…
  5. He isn’t going to like all of your friends. Then again, you won’t always like all of his either! Remember that he is trying, and you can’t force any relationships. The more you nag him about getting friendly with your girls, the more he will push them (and you) away. If you really don’t think he is trying to get to know them, try giving him a gentle nudge.
  6. He’s going to get hit on and he’s going to check out other girls; it’s literally in a guy’s genetics. Again, this goes for us girls, too! Hey we can’t help it if that cute waiter is checking us out, right? ;) Unfortunately, the cute waitress may be checking him out too. Try to stay calm. If you think he is cute, chances are other girls will too. Remember that he’s there with you, and as long as he’s not carrying on any flirting with her, you have nothing to worry about.

It’s easy to get frustrated when guys don’t do what we want them to. Just remember that there may be a couple things we forget every now and then. So remind him that you’re a size medium, not a size large, and that your birthday is in three weeks. Sometimes he actually does like when you hint at things. Don’t be afraid to ask him what he likes every now and then, too.

Devin is a sophomore at Bucknell University. She is intending to be a Markets, Innovation and Design major in the School of Management, and is also pursuing a minor in Creative Writing. She can be found giving tours around campus, doing homework on the quad, or dancing in her apartment with her friends. Devin also writes for the HC Bucknell chapter, and loves all things Her Campus! Outside of school and HC, she enjoys playing sports, reading, singing, and trying new foods. In fact, her life motto is "eat dessert first." Devin is very excited to be the Management Intern at HC headquarters in Boston this summer!
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!