Go-to Instagram Filters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Choosing the perfect Instagram filter is often a daily challenge. We ask for the opinions of our friends (but end up choosing what we think is best despite their advice), we go back and forth until we’ve narrowed it down to the final two, and if it turns out really bad, we simply go back and delete it (no shame, we’ve all been there). Here’s the deal on the twenty filters that Instagram gives us to choose from:

Amaro: When you don’t want to be boring and go filter-less (don’t be the #nofilter girl, please), this is your best bet. Amaro, you really do know how to make anyone and anything look more appealing. Keep up the good work!

Mayfair: Ahh, you’ve really been such a wonderful addition to the family. You’re just the perfect mix of light and dark, a true master of contrast.

Rise: Taking those “where are we” party selfies from dark to “light enough to vaguely tell that I’m having fun” since 2010. Classssssic.

Hudson: Sometimes I want to let my edgy side out and I feel like you accept that, no questions asked, you just get me. 

Valencia: My go-to, a constant in the world of filters. We all know that you really can’t justify spending more than five minutes making the decision of which filter to choose when you still have to figure out a caption AND decide on necessary hashtags. Trust Valencia…you won’t be disappointed.

X-Pro II: I have a total sense of loyalty to you since you were the first filter I really fell in love with. I know that I overused you for a good few months when I was new to the world of “insta-ing” (yes, it’s a verb), but you taught me the ways, and so to you I will be eternally grateful.

Sierra: You’re sorta just boring unless I use the sunshine/brightening button on you every time…#sorrynotsorry.

Willow & Inkwell: I’m all about a quality black and white photo, but I can never decide which one of you is cooler/better. You’re like twins who are begging me to choose a favorite and I really can’t handle that.

Lo-Fi: Sometimes aggressive and sometimes perfect…do ya feel me?

Earlybird: Am I the only one who sometimes feels compelled to use this filter when I post a picture in the morning? I seriously think it’s just because it makes me think, “early bird gets the worm” even though I mostly only use it for lazy days laying in my bed with Netflix and a mug of coffee that is refilled more than once. At least it looks all vintage and artsy!

Sutro: Why do you make everything look so dark and haunted?! Nobody wants to look like a zombie and truthfully, you’re just scaring away my potential “likers”.

Toaster: I’ll let you know if I ever want a big burst of light in the middle of my picture. Thanks for being on call, girlfriend. 

Brannan: You wash me out, but you can make my inspirational quotes look pretty cool, so you should probably stick around.

Walden & Hefe: I don’t have really strong feelings about you, but I’m not going to deny that you serve your purpose.

Nashville: You definitely get the award for the best border–it makes me feel like a cool movie editor or NYFW photographer! Thanks for indulging my make-believe career dreams and for never making me question your ability to deal with color/skin tone no matter what I throw your way.

1977: I want to be retro and cool and make my pictures look like they were taken with a Polaroid, but I just can never get it right. I’m sorry, 1977. I want to be friends, I really do, but I just can’t seem to figure you out. 

Kelvin: “I love Kelvin!”…said no one ever. Let’s be honest, it’s basically the yellow starburst left after you eat all the pink ones, the squeaky elliptical at the gym, the extra long line at the library cafe when classes let out at the 52 mark of the hour. Really, it’s just unnecessary because no one wants to look like they got a $5 spray tan…not even an inanimate object. (But mom, you totally rock it so keep doing you! Yes, moms get a free pass cause they are the queens of the world and can do whatever they want.) 

I feel the need to say that I have willingly used all of these filters at one point or another during my Instagram career (is that a thing? It is now) because each has it’s proper time and place. Sooo, how about the art of captions and hashtags? I think maybe that’s for another time!

Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.
Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com