This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Free condoms are like the mascots of modern day liberal arts colleges. At an increasing number of universities in America, an endless supply of complimentary condoms can be found across campus — taped to doors, placed on bathroom countertops, and found by the bucketful at student health centers. Now, don’t get me wrong, I completely understand the merit and necessity of providing college students with free contraceptives; however, I oftentimes find myself wondering why I don’t have to pay for condoms (an arguably unnecessary item) when I’m shelling out upwards of ten dollars per month for menstrual products.

Most states in America charge a sales tax on panty liners, sanitary pads, and tampons, deeming them “luxury items” under the law. I, amongst many others, believe this to be a ludicrous sentiment since items that are considered necessities, or non-luxuries, are exempt from such taxes. Examples of “non-luxury items” include groceries and medical purchases. I don’t recall being asked whether or not I want to get my period each month, so I’m not sure how tampons aren’t considered an essential need. Perhaps the injustice is due to the deep-seated sexism intertwined within our nation’s constitutional foundation?

Just a thought.

In any case, Bucknell University recently made strides towards progress with its revolutionary “Free the Tampon” program. “Free the Tampon” is a Bucknell Student Government initiative that was led by Meg Belinsky, the former Vice President of Administration for the BSG Executive Board. Thanks to her efforts, all non-residential bathrooms across campus are stocked with menstrual products, free of charge. The initiative is meant to encourage gender equality while simultaneously guaranteeing that all students are able to obtain feminine products regardless of financial hardships.

Amanda Battle, Bucknell Student Government President, commented, “one thing that’s especially cool about this initiative is how it was funded. President Bravman himself freed the tampon! Meaning, the Office of the President provided the funding for this initiative. I am so grateful to have a University President who so clearly cares deeply about his students and their physical needs.

I am immensely proud of my university for playing an active role in the fight for justice and equality. I’ve personally benefitted from the initiative already, as have many other students (needed a tampon, didn’t have a quarter — we’ve all been there). I hope to see similar progress on a widespread, national scale within the next few years. Once again, ‘ray Bucknell!

Political Science/Literary Studies double major at Bucknell University. Writer for Her Campus and The Bucknellian. My hero is the girl from Hotline Bling who is having an absolutely fantastic time now that Drake's left the city.
What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.