Fitness Class Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Ever wonder what the fitness classes are like in the Rec. Center? HerCampus has got the scoop for you. We went to almost every fitness class this week to get you the low-down on what the class is like, their instructors, and why you should get your booty to the gym!

Spinning MWF 7 a.m. – 8 a.m.

The idea of spinning at 7 in the morning is slightly nauseating, but the hardest part about this class is getting there! Once you manage to get yourself out of bed at this ungodly hour, it is completely worth it. Phil, the teacher of the Monday and Friday class, is a music professor and always has a great music selection for your workout. Last time we went, he created a playlist featuring Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin. This class, and any spinning class, is great for any athletic level. Getting a great workout in this early sets a productive, energized tone for the rest of your day. Spinning classes are also offered on Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. with Brooke, Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. with Brooke, Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. with Caroline and 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. with Caroline.

Yoga R 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.

This yoga class is the perfect way to relax and unwind while burning calories at the same time.  The class is in the power vinyasa style, or intermediate yoga, that follows a flow sequence. The instructor, Heather, says, “The sequence is fairly fast pace in order to increase heart rate and work on breathing from pose to pose.”  Her workout philosophy is “to have a balanced workout that incorporates multiple workout disciplines. I believe that cross training is better for the body in the long run and helps keep all muscles strong and fit.”  Be sure to check out her other class on Tuesday from 10 a.m. – 11 a.m., as well as Lisa’s class on Monday from 9 a.m. – 10 a.m., Cheri’s class on Tuesday from 12 p.m. – 1 p.m., Lisa’s class on Wednesday from 9 a.m. – 10 a.m., and Cheri’s class on Thursday from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

Kickboxing

If you are looking for an efficient, full body workout, then this class is for you.  It is non-stop for the full hour, and it works your abs as well cardio. Get ready to sweat! Get your inner-boxer on during Joey’s class on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.

Zumba

Zumba, a Latin-dance fitness class, is the perfect workout if you are not into working out. The fun dance moves make it seem like one big party instead of a painful workout in the gym. The instructor always has a fun playlist for each class and makes sure to keep everyone at high energy. Go to this class for a good workout and a way to work on your dance moves! Classes are offered on Wednesdays from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. by Olivia and from on Fridays from 5 p.m. – 6 p.m. by Grace. Be sure to attend the Zumba Party held in Sojka Pavilion on Tuesdays from 10:30 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.!

H.I.T.

This step interval class is fun and a great workout. It will heighten your heart rate and improve your cardio. Classes are offered on Mondays and Wednesdays from 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. by Kari.

Cardio Pilates

This class offers a full-body workout, developing core stability, body sculpting and cardiovascular movement. Although it is challenging, everyone is in there to get workouts on, encouraging you to keep at it even when you want to quit. The class includes abs, squats, jumping jacks, push-ups, lunges and stretching. Nicole’s classes are offered on Mondays from 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. and Wednesdays from 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.

ABC’s

ABC, or abs, butt and core, well, works your ABC’s! All of the exercises performed in this hour-long class will develop, tone and strengthen these areas. Classes are offered on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. with Laurel and on Fridays from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. with Rachel.

Tabata

You can count on the Tabata classes to make you sweat. The 45-minute class includes eight intervals of 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds of recovery. The focus of the class changes each week from arms to abs to legs, ensuring variation. Instructors welcome all levels, as they can and will accommodate you. This class is taught on Tuesdays from 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. by Laurel.

TRX

This is definitely the hot class of the semester. This total-body workout uses suspension ropes and your own body weight to improve flexibility, strength, core stability and balance. Be sure to get there an hour early to ensure your spot. Classes are offered by Laurel on Mondays from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m., Mondays from 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., Thursday from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. and Fridays from 10 a.m. – 11 p.m.

Link to the Group Fitness Schedule: https://www.bucknell.edu/Documents/RecreationServices/groupFitness.pdf

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com