The Evolution of the Halloween Costume: Bucknell Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The evolution of the Halloween costume is an interesting one. It is always funny to see how we went from dressing as pumpkins when we were toddlers, to Disney princesses when we were preschoolers, to pop stars when we were in elementary school. The way in which our attitudes change toward the Halloween costume in college, however, is especially funny.

Freshman Year

It is our first year in college, aka our first year of freedom. Automatically, the insightful words of Cady Herron come to mind (“Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it”), along with the image of Regina George dressed as a playboy bunny in front of her crying dad. Luckily the ’rents were not around for this Halloween. We all went as the sluttiest version of our various costumes as possible – slutty police officers, slutty nurses, even slutty ___ (who knew that could be slutty??).

Sophomore Year

We got the totally slutty year out of our system, but we still want to look cute. Second time around we progressed slightly, moving from slutty to sexy. The fraternities are hosting their still relatively new to us “date party” and obviously we have to go looking hawt. This year we dressed as sexy black cats or cute little bumble bees – just add animal ears and it’s cute, right?

Junior Year

Halloween is starting to get kind of old at this point. We are sick of seeing scantily-clad freshmen going a little too crazy on this particular night of the year. We made our junior year costume a complete joke – bacon and eggs to loofas to tacos. We just want to have a good time.

Senior Year

Are people even dressing up this year? Halloween barely registers with us senior year, and we didn’t even plan out a costume in advance. We just took whatever we had in our closets and made it work. First priority is warmth. This means resorting to a head to toe body suit if we have to.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com