Dieting: It’s Gone Too Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Body image- you’ve heard those two words a thousand times by now. Whether they be a nightmare to your own self-esteem or just an overused phrase you’ve read and seen all over social media, the bottom line is this; the media has presented woman with an impossible desire to be perfect. This includes having shiny hair, designer clothes, painted faces, and being unhealthily underweight. Like a Barbie doll; shiny, pretty, and poised.

Weight is arguably the most controversial issue with the image of women in society, where women are expected be thin and in shape. As a result of skinny models, cartoon characters, etc., women set up an unachievable expectation for themselves, constructing an inner battle that can never be won. Obviously, in an effort to achieve an impossible weight, women turn to diets, or even worse, eating disorders, to make themselves feel and look better.

Common Sense Media recently reported that nearly 80% of 10-year-old girls have said that they have already been on a diet in their lives. Further statistics explain that more than one half of girls aged 6-8 want thinner bodies, the same holding truth for nearly one-third of boys. In 1970, the average age for a girl to begin dieting was around 14, but the number decreased drastically in the 90s. 51% of 10 year-olds said that they feel better about themselves when they are on a diet. Weight Watcher allows girls to join the dieting program at the age of 10, and Jenny Craig’s cut off is 14.

The facts can go on and on, leaving me both enraged and distraught. Imagine playing on the playground carefree in 3rd grade, but not eating that extra cookie at snack time because of a societal pressure. Children at that age should be learning how to do simple multiplication, not worrying if their body looks good in their GAP Kid’s clothing.

Sure, people have been talking about body image for years now. People tell you to be yourself and to feel confident in your own body despite the antagonizing pressures that we face daily on social media sites or even just in the grocery stores. Think about it; with our world’s constant desire for connection, we are only broadening the scope of our public sphere with social media like Instagram and Snapchat, creating an exposure that is irreversible. In addition to the media pressure, many young girls adopt eating habits from their family. If a mother is dieting and constantly talking about looking good, then it is likely that a child will have the same mentality.

But at what point will we actually see change? How many more 10 year-old girls need to feel insecure until something can be done about it?

Looking into the future, there is no simple solution, and I doubt anything will happen soon. This notion is already deeply embedded into the heads of all women, and I have no idea what the answer is. Education? Awareness? Women’s support groups similar to Common Sense Media are trying to take serious steps towards eliminating pressure on women. For example, they suggest that high fashion magazines include one unedited photo of a model in each issue, before the digital reshaping into the “perfect” image. While this is a step towards a better environment, it is only something small.

So, will the age for dieting somehow lower over the next couple of years? Through awareness and certain actions, society still has a chance to change these frightening facts and give 10 year-olds their childhood back.  

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com