The Deal with Juice Cleanses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The summer after my freshman year, I discovered that I had become a victim of an acute version of the infamous “Freshman 15”. My sister suggested that I do a juice cleanse to help jump start my diet. I had previously read many reviews and articles about juice cleanses and decided it was worth a try. I not only lost the weight but also did the juice cleanse once more during winter break! However, here are some myths and facts to help you understand what the deal is with juice cleanses.

Myth #1: It’s a Quick, Easy, Weight-Loss Solution

Fact: It’s a Reboot, NOT a Solution

The most common misunderstanding people seem to have about the juice cleanses, or any sort of detox, is that they are weight-loss solutions. A juice cleanse can help you lose a few pounds but that weight is most likely to come back unless you adopt the key concepts behind the juice cleanse, which we will talk about later.

A better approach to the juice cleanse is to “reboot” your body. If you have changed your eating habits for the worse due to stress-inducing events or the notorious holiday season, you can help detox, remove toxins from your body, or simply lighten the weight on your body by doing a short juice cleanse.

Myth #2: A Juice Cleanse Helps Reset Your Metabolism

Fact: Our bodies already have a built-in system for detoxing every day

Again, you might lose some weight during a juice cleanse but it won’t miraculous reset your metabolism within a short few days. The weight loss results of the cleanse are due to consumption of fewer calories, not the removal of toxins slowing down your metabolism.

Myth #3: Juice Cleanses Are For Any Body and Everybody

Fact: Not really…

There have been numerous celebrities with different body types, eating habits, and fitness regiments that have raved about juice cleanses and rightfully shown off their amazing results. However, that does, in no way guarantees that a juice cleanse is right for you. You might have certain allergies and health concerns that are simply not fit for a juice cleanse. Although these juices are all freshly made from vegetables and fruits, a lot of them contain high sugar content, making them harmful to people with diabetes or any other blood-sugar related issues.

Most likely, you won’t have a problem, but it is always safer to check with your doctor or consult with the juice cleanse seller if you are buying from a brand like Pressed Juicery, Blue Print, or Organic Avenue.  

It may seem as though juice cleanses aren’t as great as they initially seemed, but here are some benefits and positive aspects of a juice cleanse. Cleansing is of course, know to help you lose a little weight, but it is also known to help improve digestion, energize and revive your complexion. However, above all, the juice cleanses are meant to underline the importance of consuming fruits and vegetables and eliminating toxins from your body such as refined sugar and caffeine. While on a juice cleanse, it is forbidden that you chew gum or drink caffeinated drinks like coffee because such consumption would counteract the positive effects of the cleanse. In doing so, you will learn that you really don’t need that cup of coffee in the morning to feel “awake” or that sugar craving can just as readily be fixed by a serving of fruit. In all honesty, this is a great way for those weak-willed to force themselves to get back on track and start their diet right! Just remember, the juice cleanse is great if you use it as an aid – to keep and sustain the benefits of the cleanse, you must continue healthy, clean eating habits, and exercise.

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!