College Students Weigh In on Study Abroad Nightmare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

On January 2nd, University of Virginia student Otto Warmbier was arrested on his last day studying abroad in North Korea for allegedly stealing a propaganda poster. On March 16th, the North Korean government released a heart-wrenching video of Warmbier confessing to the crimes he was accused of committing. Despite his pleas, he was sentenced for 15 years of hard labor in North Korea. 

There have been many reactions to Otto Warmbier’s arrest, including some from his classmates at the University of Virginia. In interviews conducted by USA TODAY, these students revealed mixed sentiments about Warmbier’s experience and raised important points about travelling to unstable countries, as well as human rights issues.

Evan Davis, first-year: “I was shocked. … I know it’s North Korea, but at the same time, for such a petty crime as stealing something like a flag, I didn’t expect it. (And while) maybe (his going there) was not the best decision, I’m optimistic that he’ll get out.”

While it is hard to imagine detaining someone for stealing a campaign poster, according to Todd Secher, an associate professor of politics at the University of Virginia, every year since 2009, there have been one or two American citizens detained there. Arresting Americans enables North Korea to negotiate with United States officials and puts them in the global spotlight. Secher also points out that the North Korean government often coerces accused people into making confessions, thus making it impossible to truly know whether or not Warmbier actually stole the poster.

Dominick Candelieri-Marcari, first-year: “I kind of expected it. I was surprised that people were actually surprised that he was sentenced for 15 years and detained. I mean, North Korea’s not exactly a nation known for its hospitality or easy laws. … I understand that people would be up in arms about it, but people act like it wasn’t a foolish thing to do in the first place, which, in my opinion, it kind of was. I mean, if I went to North Korea, I would be walking straight lines, not even looking in the wrong direction.”

If Warmbier did in fact steal the poster, studies show that he is not alone as a risk-taking college student abroad. The Boston Globe describes a growing trend that young adults tend to compromise their safety when studying overseas. Blinded by the excitement of being immersed in a new culture, students abandon their judgment, according to Terry Hartle, senior vice president at the American Council on Education. The Boston Globe cites fatalities associated with students driving recklessly abroad. Kristen Wendt, a Go Overseas Writer, wrote about the dangers of drinking and exploring nightlife in unfamiliar places. Perhaps Warmbier is not unlike the many other college students who get caught too up in their incredible abroad experience and consequentially make major mistakes.

Whether or not you agree with Otto Warmbier’s choice to travel to North Korea, or if you believe that he actually did, and deplore him for, stealing the propaganda poster, it is impossible not to sympathize with his situation. What if Otto Warmbier was the boy that sat beside you in Econ 103 every week before Winter Break? What if his situation has boiled down to a matter of life or death? Otto is a college student just like us. One student from the University of Virginia may have put it best.

Kevin Han, first-year: “I was thinking, ‘Why isn’t UVA or the government doing anything about this?’”

Warmbier was arrested on January 2nd, and the news of his situation only broke recently. We can help Otto by keeping his story in the media and encouraging the United States government to negotiate his release.

Sources:

Olivia is a sophomore at Bucknell University where she studies Global Management. She lives in Connecticut with her parents and her little sister/best friend. She hopes to graduate from college in four years and find a career in business.