This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Beginning Feburary 12, the Samek Art Museum will be hosting “The Cliteracy Project” by Sophia Wallace.

Sophia Wallace is an American artist and photographer. She received her B.A. from Smith College and M.A. in Photography from NYU.

The art exhibit explores literacy of the clitoris. Among the other works of the project, the works at the Samek include “100 Laws of Cliteracy,” a text-heavy, larger-than-life sized poster of information about the clitoris, as well as a sculpture of a clitoris. Wallace uses a neutral color-palette of golds and browns to emulate strength and boldness, avoiding the stereotypical feminine colors of pinks and purples or floral patterns. The size of the installation represents that ignorance that surrounds the topic is far too great and that it is too great of an issue to ignore for any longer.

In this project, she hopes to raise awareness of the clitoris, both socially and scientifically. In the making of this project, Wallace discovered that very few doctors, even gynecologists, knew accurate information about the clitoris. In fact, most ignored its existence. But then again, the clitoris was scientifically discovered only 16 years ago in 1998, as Wallace emphasizes in one of her 100 Natural Laws.

Wallace stresses that in our society, sex is always referred to in relation to men’s pleasure. The penis is the axis of sex. This is simply wrong. It is sexist because half of the population is being completely ignored. Wallace believes that is because anything involving female genitals is “taboo.” Even several curse words refer to the female genitals in an insulting manner.

Wallace emphasizes that a woman is not fully a citizen unless she is experiencing pleasure that is equal to her partner.  Through this project, Wallace hopes to begin a discussion of citizenship, sexuality, and basic human rights.

“Cliteracy” raises a topic of discussion that many women are too afraid to talk about, simply because society tells them that they shouldn’t. It raises an issue that men may not even be aware of.

In a word, the project is powerful. Just the title of the project, “Cliteracy,” is uncomfortable. But that only proves the necessary discussion that needs to be had. The exhibit brings with it a level of realization – that this is a widespread issue – and comfort – that this is okay to talk about.

Find out more about Wallace and “Cliteracy” on her website, http://www.sophiawallace.com/.